free website stats program true oil filter story | Harley Davidson Forums

true oil filter story

overload

I worked with Heavy Equipment for years then was more or less pushed by the owners into a big new shop, given 3 mech. and my new job was to service and keep the trucks, dozers, hoes, loaders, etc running and ready to go. in 08' we bought a new 20 yd tri-axle Peterbilt from B.R. La. ready to go. it had a 410hp ISM Cummins with the NEW EPA specs exhaust system. Short story made shorter, We mostly used Carquest filters, Made by Wix, sometimes we had to use OEM filter, JD, CAT, Case, Kubota, Napa, some Fram and AC, Mack & Cummins brand, but mostly Wix. anyway, the Peterbilt destructed at only 57K miles, Peterbilt and Cummins said it was totally worn out, we had full service records, logs and all. they said the Wix air filter was up to standards, so I called Wix Reps. they sent people , did a fine job, tested and stood by their product. in the process, Peterbilt also said we had the wrong OIL Filter, it was the spec and type it left the factory with, but later was founfd to have too small of MICRONS and would clog, stop up and BY-Pass would stay open most of the time, like no filter at all, oil ran straight thru. they went to a larger MICRON which would filter longer. surely it would catch a loose socket, a small flash light dropped in the engine by the rookie that had to look inside, etc.

so that made me think about the 5 MICRON filter Harley has us using on MY T/C 96", how long does my 5 micron filter work and when does the by-pass take over and I'm really running oil straight thru. and where does all the small particles come from that has to be trpped/caught? I'm pretty clean when changing oil, and I'm not a off road Harley rider. just wondered about the small micron filter and has anyone heard of a smaller micron oil filter? of all the equipment and truck oil filters we used, never heard of using that small filtration with oil. I think my by-pass runs a lot, cooler days, higher RPMS, and so on. What do you think about using a 10 or 15 micron.

My Ford 150 uses a 19 Micron , just a thought, anyway, the Peterbilt is in court battle. Wix filters were not the problem, it was the faulty exhaust system running thru the engine with faulty components,

but in the end, I'll keep riding my Harley, I can ride her till thee end of time and she'll never complain

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, I bet some bosses were mad at that low mileage engine failure!
My main reason for using the HD 5 micron (.020") filter is that the Twin Cam piston oil jets are .025"-.030". I'm trusting that the bypass system is working properly and keeps the oil in the filter medium. I have used several different brand oil filters on my Evo. with no ill effects in 60+k miles.

for using the HD 5 micron (.020") filter is

Breeze is your decimal point in the wrong spot?

1 micron (1 millionth of a meter) = .00003937 inches.
So 5 times .000039 = .0002"

(I think?) What's a couple of Zero's among friends anyway?:D:D

Boy, I bet some bosses were mad at that low mileage engine failure!
My main reason for using the HD 5 micron (.020") filter is that the Twin Cam piston oil jets are .025"-.030". I'm trusting that the bypass system is working properly and keeps the oil in the filter medium. I have used several different brand oil filters on my Evo. with no ill effects in 60+k miles.

GOOD on the above!

My "added thoughts" for the HD filters, 30 then 10 and now 5 micron filter on the TC HD:

I never thought and still don't that My filter would ever Plug-Up! even at 5 microns.

Under normal driving conditions, wear-n-tear of engine parts and keeping Oil and filter changed often and Carefully cleaning around BEFORE Opening and Closing the oil cap (a must) when checking or adding oil..

My concern is Not so great NOW with the New Big bikes of today, but the "older ones" were the Problem.

The Older TC88's and their Ceramic Shoes Wear bothered me (my 2000 FXDS, went to Gear drive). I saw the larger chunks Missing off the shoes at 12,000 miles and could only imagined the smaller ceramic particles left behind,,, I thought they would not get the filter Plugged Full but what about the MISSED Size when using the 10 micron filter (normal filter used in TC88's) Then changed to the 5 micron... I never felt the 10 micron Nor the 5 enough filter to do the job....

Why ? did the HD put a material into the engine that could NOT be filtered out.. Too much wear-n-tear material that can't be eliminated from the oil...

That Small ceramic stuff was still floating around in the oil, under 10 micron then and Now under 5 micron (new filter) bothered me. That worn off ceramic is Like putting a powered lapping compound into the oil.

I was glad to see the Change in design. HD using Hydraulic tensioner and New Softer material (non abrasive) used in place of the ceramic shoes.

Today, I have to be Careful to NOT mix up on the oil filters for the TC and My sporty as the 5 micron and the style of filter is not for the sportster oil system. Engine damage can result...

I do change oil and filter often but I Also Wonder ? "What could Plug the oil filter" as I know "normal wear-n-tear Won't" .

signed....BUBBIE

Breeze is your decimal point in the wrong spot?

1 micron (1 millionth of a meter) = .00003937 inches.
So 5 times .000039 = .0002"

(I think?) What's a couple of Zero's among friends anyway?:D:D

OOps, two wrong decimal places.:small3d023:

smitty, I was just curious. Champ Labs makes HD, Mobile1,Royal Purple,K&N and Wal Mart
SuperTech but to different specs for each, but some people don't like Champ Labs because they make SuperTech filters.
wilks3

just because the filters come out of the same manufacturer doesn't mean they come out of the same factory.

And darned unlikely that they are made to the same specs and with the same materials.

i used to consult for a plastics factory.

They were fully capable of making high precision military parts, medical parts, and others side by side.

Can't imagine any other contract manufacturer being too different in their ability to vary processes to spec.

just because the filters come out of the same manufacturer doesn't mean they come out of the same factory.

And darned unlikely that they are made to the same specs and with the same materials.

Absolutely true. Motorola can make a Walkie Talkie to Military Specs or Radio Shack Specs. I am not saying Radio Shack is poor quality because they actually make some really nice items.

I am just saying a manufacture can be asked to build and design different levels of quality.

Back