free website stats program True Gas Tank Capacity | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

True Gas Tank Capacity

TQ, Do you have a digital reserve display? Are those numbers are based on a 6 gallon tank?

Tks Hoop!

No. My bike is an '03. Analog display (needle) and idiot light. The Owner's Manual says the tank is 5 gals. (obviously it is a bit more!!). But the tank was pretty empty these last two times since the engine was trying to stall when I braked due to the gas flowing away from the pickup.

TQ

No. My bike is an '03. Analog display (needle) and idiot light. The Owner's Manual says the tank is 5 gals. (obviously it is a bit more!!). But the tank was pretty empty these last two times since the engine was trying to stall when I braked due to the gas flowing away from the pickup.

TQ

Wow, that's crazy. Your on the other side of the spectrum than I am. Mine says I am very near empty and I can only put in 3.8 Gallons based on a 4.8 tank.
And then you can put in 5.4 gallons into a 5 Gallon tank.

I am just going to ride with a gas can. Drive it to true "E" and see how far past display "E" I can go. It's the only way to get the answer I am looking for.

Hoop!

.....if anything due to expansion the tank will hold more than stated in manual, physic's 101 metal above a hot engine the tank will expand holding more fuel. ......

BAhhhahaha. :khee Hobbit you kill me.:khee

Seriously.
I have a 2006 Street Bob.

I get 150 miles in town (heavy on the throttle) before my low fuel light comes on and put in 15 litres (3.9 gallons). 180 miles on highway and then fill up (usually the same 15 litres (3.9 gallons). Erring well on the side of caution.
Good to know I have a reserve still at that point.

But I'm in Canada and it's cold here in the fall. (although today was 94 deg F) Does that mean I have a smaller tank and less gas?
shrinkage can be embarrassing.
:bigsmiley14:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back