free website stats program True duals or not true dual | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

True duals or not true dual

I have TD, V&H, on my 05FLTRI. Made a difference in the heat on my left leg. Don't notice any loss of performance. Articles I have read say that for true performance you need a two into one.

I love the Rinehart True Duals I have on my 2004 Ultra. Been on there for over 6 years... great pipes!

I have used both the slip-ons’ with the stock manifold with the Rinehart’s & now with the Rinehart True Duals. The heat was reduced on the back cylinder so the change was needed SE RK 110, it's a hot engine. I used a Thundermax with the auto tune ECM to properly adjust both front & rear cylinders. I haven’t noticed much low end loss of get up and go but I really don't race her around. My wife said I spent to much money on the (scoot) last year, so I tried to explain that I did it all for her. Didn’t buy that one HA HA .:s

I have the Rinehearts and Thundermax tuner, some would find it a bit loud but I like it, just don't wind on the throttle when the law is watching.

I picked up a pair of V&H black TDs off ebay, brand new from an HD dealer for $140. Now, I'll never see that offer again, but look around and you can find some good prices.

I like my TDs and V&H 4" Blackout rounds and used the SEPST with Smart Tune to true up my VE tables. Engine is silky smooth in the cruise range. The sound is nice at cruise, but very loud when I open up the throttle (which I try not to do often around town).

Some say go with a chambered baffle, like what's in the Monster series from V&H, to keep the back pressure up, but I didn't and like the results.

Some TDs now have a hidden crossover (S&S, Cobra, maybe Kury). Looks like TDs, but the cross over helps in the scavenging. The new Rinehart TD say they have louvers near the head to help wirth exhaust revesion. I have not seen them to comment on.

Enjoy what ever you go with.

I am picking up my 2011 ultra limited in march. Are true dual mufflers worth installing on it?
Is it WORTH it.........you might get 10-20% more HP and Torque, you'll certainly get a better exhaust tone. Your bike could run cooler, that might make it last longer. It'll cost ya bout 2 grand by the time you change the header pipes, install new muffs and adjust, replace or re-map your ECM and Dyno tune. Then ya gotta worry bout your warrenty.
I have done it to every bike I've ever owned. to me it's "worth" it but I also know guys who won't do it and they seem to be just as happy as I am.

Also, if you plan on TD's, need to invest in tuner to complete the package. Really like my Bub-7 TD's and the TFI allows for fine tuning to make them function well w/complete bike UG package (pipes, breather, etc.). Congrats on the new bike!

Probably a worthwhile move to lose the stock cats anyway. If you go TD's, I'd advise staying away from Rinehart as it will seriously limit any future slip-on options.

I guess I should have qualified that statement a bit better. I don't have any problem with Rinehart. It's just that the TDs are a stepped header that results in a 2 inch inlet at the muffler. Most available slip-on's will be the standard 1 3/4.

Rush is the only other slip-on I can think of that has a 2 in option.

Have V&H's TD's on my 2008 103" Stage 3 upgrade and did not notice any change in seat of the pants torque. I realize the dyno will show a little loss in low end torque, but looks, sound and heat were my main objectives and the TD's satisfactorily handled all my these objectives for me.

Roger

Switched my 07 110" Ultra to Rush ceramic true duals and kept the 4" SE touring mufflers. The cats somehow 'fell out' of the mufflers during the install.
Went with the T-Max with auto-tune. Sound is much better. Quieter than the Fullsacs I tried but much better than stock. Heat to right thigh MUCH better. Didn't notice any difference in performance, if anything, I would say seat of pants feels better. Might be the T-max over the SE tuner and/or the sound. No regrets at all.

Back