free website stats program True Duals how much Bottom end do you really lose | Harley Davidson Forums

True Duals how much Bottom end do you really lose

Bud White

Retired Moderators
I know its a personal thing on pipes

I saw a set of these Vance and Hines pipes tonight and really liked them

Vance Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems

I couldn't ask the guy how he liked them as he was buying another harley for the wife or girlfriend .. but i like the way it really cleaned up the lines of the Bike.

I also like them in the black finish and you can get the quiet Baffles so how much do you really lose to go to a true dual with no crossover i dont think the 96 is hurting for grunt in the bottom end..

True duals sound great, but there is a loss of power on the low end torque. There are many examples out there with comparisons between 2-1 systems and 2-2 systems. Your peak numbers will be the same with either system, it's the area under the curves that will be different. The stock exhaust operates much like a 2-1 system since the crossover pipe doesn't really grab much exhaust at all. So going from the stock headers to a 2-2 setup will let the motor breath better, but the low end will suffer from a lack of back pressure.

In the end.........it's what people like the looks of or the sound of that they go with, performance is an afterthought.

Steve

It's the lack of scavenging between pipes where they are connected that looses the power and TQ with true duals.

but how much seat of the pants feel ? is it going to make it miserable to ride 2 up ?

but how much seat of the pants feel ? is it going to make it miserable to ride 2 up ?

Short answer: No!

I change mine 07 FLHRC to true duals, spent most of my time with the wife on the back and didn't notice ANY difference in pulling power.

I really don't think that your seat of the pants acceleromoter will be able to measure the difference in torque loss. I couldnt.

I went with what looked good along with the fact that I didn't like the stock sound.:wall

Thats what i was wanting to know right there... what pipes did you go with ?

Thanks again for the info .. Thinking a set for it next year would be nice

Hey from California, I went with the V&H Bigshot duals, Big sucker, and V&H fuelpak. The main reason was heat from the stock exhaust on my right leg. I also didn't want to have to spend money on the dyno, and if I ever have to go back to stock (ticket) I can do it myself. I also hated the cheesey heat shield space on the foward pipe.

Back