free website stats program True duals-good or bad | Harley Davidson Forums

True duals-good or bad

kedoba

Are there any advantages to true duals. I have a 1993 FLHS and I found someone that makes a kit ( a plug for the crossover pipe) to convert the stock exhaust to duals. He supplies plugs for 100% blockage and one with a 1/2 hole for 90% blockage. Would this help or hurt my bike? Does it matter that the pipes won't be the same length? I know on cars with headers, all the pipes are the same length. Does this matter on a bike's exhaust?

True duals will loose a bit of torque on the bottom end from the loss of scavenging but a lot of guys like them for looks and sound. It's a personal preference. They will also remove some of the heat on the newer bikes from the under leg area.

You have to be careful which mufflers you run when you change the pipes to true duals. The stock set up on the left side had very little flow to force the exhaust out the right side of the stock system. Using the TD setup with stock mufflers will cause a problem for the rear cylinder.

Glider,

You seem to be pretty knowleagble about this stuff, what is a great set-up to go with and sounds good? Like what headers and what exhaust does everybody have on here for set-ups?

Glider,

You seem to be pretty knowleagble about this stuff, what is a great set-up to go with and sounds good? Like what headers and what exhaust does everybody have on here for set-ups?

It seems that there is a good majority of people going with the V&H ovals and the Reinhardt's as far as slip ons. I think the ovals are a bit louder here. The stock head pipes are hard to beat unless you are looking for a 2 into 1 setup.

I know on cars with headers, all the pipes are the same length. Does this matter on a bike's exhaust?
The reason a car's header pipes are all the same length and all the gases are scavenged. if they were different lengths the gas would get to the end of the header at the wrong times for the exhaust to flow correctly.

Back