True dual versus 2- 1 exhaust system

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by DCLARKE, May 2, 2014.

1. DCLARKE

DCLARKE Member

I am not sure I understand all the complexities of the exhaust system but which system would lead to better performance with a tuner and AC? Looking to stay with Rinehart or Vance and Hines. Are there others I should be looking at?

Thank you!

2. wazzle

wazzle Member

It is said the 2-1 evacuated the exhaust better than true duals. If you haven't heard Cobra exhaust, check it out.

3. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Actually, the later 2:1:2 systems are producing numbers equal to the top 2:1 systems. So the choice really moves away from performance to what one prefers in looks and sound.

Personally, I prefer the looks and sound of duals and am converting the RH TDs on my 107" '02 FLHT to the later under carriage exhaust system with a Fuelmoto X-pipe and their 4" Jackpot mufflers. I have to admit that I love the sound of the RHs and hope the new sound is as appealing but I will also admit that moving the heat from the rear exhaust head pipe running right under the seat is very appealing for a south Texas rider.

True duals would be the last choice for me even though I am currently running a set of RH TDs on one of my bikes. The later merge collector/x-pipe 2:1:2 systems had not been proven when I went the TD route. If you prefer the looks and sound of a 2:1 system, both RH and/or V&H have good offerings. However, if you want to retain the look and sound of duals, a set of V&H slipons like the Monster Ovals would wake things up, or you could take the next step and match those slipons up with the V&H Power Dual head pipe for better results.

4. Steve Cole

Steve Cole Member

Lot's of hype out there that's for sure. Basically a well made exhaust and one that works well do not typically come in the same package. So it becomes more about looks and sound for a lot of people.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Harley Davidson Forums Read this for a better understanding of how exhaust works. Keep in mind that bagger exhaust mufflers are BIGGER for a reason:s

6. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I love the sound and looks of my RH TD's and am ok with whatever I am sacrificing in performance.

7. wazzle

wazzle Member

I forgot to mention the lifetime warranty Cobra offers

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Your bike sounds good and you are not hurting your performance any with that set up, it is WAY better than stock at scavenging:s

9. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Thanks Jack! New cams made it sound even a little better. Covers up my valve noise.......:(

10. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

it all boils down to whether you like one pipe or two I have had both.... going with the pro pipe on this one