free website stats program Troubles with brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

Troubles with brake light

dennislee99

I have an aftermarket iron cross taillight that I have installed on a side mount plate bracket and when I hook it up it just lights up bright as if the brake was on. I even hooked up the factory brake light and it is doing the same thing. I have not had a brake light hooked up yet, I just recently got this bike going, possibly something damaged in the accident it was in, has anyone one else had this problem? Everything is hooked up correctly, I have one blue wire and one red wire with a yellow stripe going to it and it is grounded off the shock bolt.

Listen to biglew, that's a very common solution for your problem being you had the controls apart.

Bet you didn't do this so the brake light switch didn't get broken when reassembling the unit.

switchhousingspacer.jpg

No I didnt do that, this is my first build, so Im just pretty much learning everything from trial and error or if that doesnt work, coming here and learning from you guys that have been doing this awhile. I'll try to adjust the master cylinder and see if that works, otherwise maybe the switch needs replaced?

If you jammed the switch, chances are you broke the tip off, maybe you'll be lucky and just loosen the right brake assembly up while holding the brake applied and it will fall into place and you'll be OK.

I'll have to try that tomorrow, I've been out in my unheated garage all day working on the bike and Ive had enough of this cold iowa weather for now. Thanks for your help though guys, I honestly wouldnt have figured that out by myself.

Gotta watch those little switches, they are very delicate. :D We broke 2 on hubbies bike, (before I found this forum, and he had his right arm in a sling from a rotator repair). Now, I'm not saying that I had no idea what I was doing and that he may have been heavily medicated, it's been a while, I don't remember. :small3d023: It's a good thing that it was a cheap part to replace.

Got my brake light working, just needed to adjust the controls. Luckily the switch was still good. Thanks for the help.

Back