trouble starting

Discussion in 'Other Harley Davidson Models' started by cahlverson67, Jul 21, 2011.

1. cahlverson67

cahlverson67 New Member

hey y'all i'm new here.
    i have a 67 that was modified to kick start only and its always been a little hard to start. i had it stored with a friend and i think he tryed to work on it. it has a malory electronic ignition.
    So when try to kick it i get nothing at all, dont even sound like its trying to start. then turn the switch off and it backfires, any ideas?

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

The fact that it backfires says you are getting fuel in the cylinders and spark to the plugs. Just not at the right time. Your friend may (probably) twisted your ignition module all around. First thing to do is set the static timing. There should be a procedure somewhere in this link. http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/index.php/t-10749.html

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

With a kicker, you can 1 remove the timer cover, 2 remove and ground the plugs, 3 kick it over to top dead center, Remove the timing plug on the left side of the crank case, 4 line up the tdc mark on the flywheel in the middle of the hole 5 loosen the 2 screws on the ignition plate, turn on the ignition slowly move the pick up plate until the #1 plug fires, this should be close enough for it to run. Then you can fine tune it, watch out for oil spray out of the timing hole:s