free website stats program trouble shooting bad vibration!!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

trouble shooting bad vibration!!!!!

do you have to replace the flywheel $1200 or can it be fixed some how.

As long as the ground bearing surfaces are not damaged, it can be trued and repaired at a very reasonable cost. (under $200).

Isn't it amazing that when the bike is out of warranty or is customer pay, "the crank is Bad and the cases have to be split".

But when it's under warranty, "I don't feel anything wrong with it" & "They all do that"

I wonder why that is?

Yes as it rev's in neutral the vibration is bad. you dont have to be moving to get a bad vibration.

I stopped into the Harley shop today and they said it is a problem with the fly wheel balancer. NOT GOOD!!!!

is anyone familiar with this and have any info on the fix. They said you have to split the cases and its expensive. do you have to replace the flywheel ($1200 or can it be fixed some how).

For someone that might have the same problem....

tall tale signs..... Leaking gas tank, from the rear bracket where it is welded to the tank
also i broke off the bracket on my seat post support, basically my coil was bouncing around not attached at all..
large raddle in the handle bars, ect....

Any info would be helpfull.. thanks again.

I am afraid that the symptoms you discribe can indicate a problem with the balancers as you have been advised, or with the crankshaft runout (or both). If left on it own, this will tear up the engine and leave you with very little to salvage. So you need to evaluate your options:
  1. If you have the skills, time and motivation, do it yourself
  2. Indy that you know and trust
  3. HD Dealership - only if you know and trust them
  4. HD Reman Program - best option if this is major work

TQ

TQuentin is giving you some great advise. I would tell the HD dealer or Indi to give you an estimate to repair your engine. Than have the HD dealer give you the cost of taking the engine out sending it to HD for the reman. and reassembly. If it was like mine it came back from HD looked brand new and came with a 1 year unlimited milage warrenty. The dealership I dealt with put all of my upgrades back on the engine and it has run great since April of 05. Good luck, hope your back on the road soon.

As simple as this may sound I would check the balance on both wheels. Least cost of the discovery process. Make sure the wheels are not bent. However if the vibration is bad when on the kick stand the engine is the problem. Now I know a lot of people will call me foolish, but I would make sure my plugs were matched as close as possible to the resistance reading. I always like to check the low cost answers first. The HD engine is one of the finest engins made and will run forever if maintained. Just check the simple things first. Make sure the the gas intake is "somewhat the same." Good luck and Bless you and yours.

James Betz

As long as the ground bearing surfaces are not damaged, it can be trued and repaired at a very reasonable cost. (under $200).

Isn't it amazing that when the bike is out of warranty or is customer pay, "the crank is Bad and the cases have to be split".

But when it's under warranty, "I don't feel anything wrong with it" & "They all do that"

I wonder why that is?

I gotta say Hoople - having just come over from the metric and riding for 15yrs with no problems, coming over to the HD line and reading this forum, sometimes I'm left with the impression of what a raquet Harley-Davidson is running here. This is almost like an abusive co-dependent relationship where the MOCO is the abuser and the harley owners are the abused woman in the relationship. I love him and yeah I know he beats me but I just gotta go back. This comment is in no way directed towards Wildspirit97, but his crank being out of spec at 30k miles on an 07 bike..if I was a lawyer I'd being gathering stats for a class-action lawsuit. It really is quite remarkable to read about the problems folks can have on these HD bikes. Yet folks just seem to accept it and stay loyal. Thus my comment about being a racquet.

I'm really hoping (knock on wood) I have the good fortune that Smitty has on his, and never have any problems of significance. I tend to buy my bikes and keep em forever. I've never been an upgrade every other year, but maybe that's the ticket on these bikes.

EDIT: And let me put my flame suit on - cuz I have a feeling it's coming LOL.

I gotta say Hoople - having just come over from the metric and riding for 15yrs with no problems, coming over to the HD line and reading this forum, sometimes I'm left with the impression of what a raquet Harley-Davidson is running here. This is almost like an abusive co-dependent relationship where the MOCO is the abuser and the harley owners are the abused woman in the relationship. I love him and yeah I know he beats me but I just gotta go back. This comment is in no way directed towards Wildspirit97, but his crank being out of spec at 30k miles on an 07 bike..if I was a lawyer I'd being gathering stats for a class-action lawsuit. It really is quite remarkable to read about the problems folks can have on these HD bikes. Yet folks just seem to accept it and stay loyal.

I'm really hoping (knock on wood) I have the good fortune that Smitty has on his, and never have any problems of significance. I tend to buy my bikes and keep em forever. I've never been an upgrade every other year, but maybe that's the ticket on these bikes.

EDIT: And let me put my flame suit on - cuz I have a feeling it's coming LOL.

It sure looks like a revisit to the AMF days tho I hope not, my last 3 bikes were trouble free for 50k miles am hoping the same from current ride we will see glad I have extended warranty, Capital Jack

Any forum of this type will let you see the worst of a product for the simple reason that 90% of the people that come here have a problem they need solved.
I have been on Honda,Yamaha and Ducatti forums and it is the same thing.
My 02 cents on the subject:s

Good point Steve, am wondering if we are the minority having found and solved so many problems. This community deserves a big pat on the back for its information gathering and sharing KUDOS to all:D:D:D

The key here is the OP vibration problem was there and getting worse. Sounds more than "--it starting doing it after service type problem." Unbalance or pounded out bearing problem being what it is, requires things to be opened up and inspected at some point. But remember the vibration can loosen a plethora of stuff in the process and methodical inspection and disassembly is essential. Being as it does so in neutral and vibration still bad means fundamental engine problem...so I would start from the basics...because simplicity happens much more often than complexity...verify compression (even firing of cylinders and consistancy is fundamental), verify fueling and ignition is balanced and strong. THEN consider going in...not before...! JMO

Well re-reading my earlier post, probably would have been best to keep my mouth shut as not sure that came out quite the way I was intending. That post was in no way intended against HD owners/riders, but more my amazement with some of the build issues that I've been reading about, and what folks have to go through in getting these issues addressed by the HD dealerships. Leaves me thinking HD MOCO and the HD dealers really come up short in taking care of their customers in some of these instances.

And to Steve's point, I probably should have kept quiet as I've had 3 bikes over the last 30yrs, this Ultra being my 3rd - so it may very well be the same game with other bike manufacturers and customer service. 3 bikes in 30yrs definitely not a good platform to preach from.

And let me give a thanks to the people on here that share their knowledge and experience. This forum reminds me a lot of the metric forum where those old-timers were long time wrenchers - knew those bikes and were always willing to help others. It was pretty cool there and looks to be pretty cool over here too - so thanks on that.

If I raised any hackles for anyone on that earlier post....I take it back!....Sorry! Man, how many times have I said that over the years lol - I'm done -

Back