free website stats program Trouble Code Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Trouble Code Help

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
After the fuel mileage thread I figured I would check the codes on my 03 FLHR.
Followed Glider's instructions in the self help section. Jumped out one and two. Turned ign. on after both lights went out. The engine light immediately flashes 8 times and then the 1~ second pause and then 8 more flashes. This keeps repeating.
I found no 88 code in the list of codes. Anybody know what 88 means? Cubic inches? :rofl

Thanks in advance,

Bodeen

That was a good one Cubic inches, I use a scan tool myself but if you jumped pin 1 & 2 then turn on your ign. 4 secounds lamp on then 6 secounds lamp of,that should do it, code should flash, but there is no 88. Have you tried disconnecting everything and doing it again?

Did not disconnect and retry. I never saw the 6 seconds of off before the flashing started. Seemed to be 4 seconds on and as soon as the engine light went off it starts flashing.

Bodeen

Like I said I'm not hands on retrieving codes this way but manual calls for the 6 secound pause before codes flash? I would try again and see if you get same because I can find no 88 code either.

Maybe 88 means end of codes much like running codes on autos end of test

Maybe 88 means end of codes much like running codes on autos end of test
So long as you have the ign. on and jumper wire hooked up it should keep repeating the code or codes, I believe. And if there are no codes I would imagine it would do nothing?

Tried the test again and the same thing. Bike runs great, just eats fuel. Figured I'd check codes just to see.
I did clean the fuel vent valve yesterday. It seemed as if it was bound up inside the valve. I sprayed some carb cleaner in it and some WD. Blew out with compressed air. Freed it right up. We'll see if that helps.

Bodeen

Checked manual for my 2000 Ultra which says if lite flashes a number of times faster than normal, this is "intermission" between codes. If this is all it does then there are no codes.:D

If the check engine check light comes on for 4 sec. after turning on ign. then goes out and stays out then there are no historic codes, but if it comes back on in a 8 sec. window after that then there are codes stored.

When I was at the HD Dealer the other day, the salesman showed me a new tool that HD has: a code reader. It is supposed to be about $150 and you simply plug it in and if there are any failure codes they will flash. I asked if it was similar to the old code readers that GM use. He said he wasn't sure, but the new HD tool is supposed to come with a manual that lists the codes and then I guess you buy a service manual to try and fix the problem. $150 for the code reader and $60 for a manual equates out to just over 3 hours of labor in the shop ($62-$70/hr in most dealerships) so it sounds like a good deal. Plus you can use it over and over and any friends could use it too.

Back