Trock lapping tool

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by mrjoe2u, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mrjoe2u

mrjoe2u Member

Has someone used the Trock lapping tool and are you satisfied with the result? It should solve the problem with the leaking base cylinder gaskets of older Evo's?

Right??

thank's

hein

Limburg
    Netherlands

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

You may want to check or replace the cylinder studs and check the cases for hair line cracks:s

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Using a better quality base gasket instead of the HD gaskets will save you a lot of work.

4. mrjoe2u

mrjoe2u Member

The last time I took off the cylinders and changed the gaskets I used James gaskets, this is appr. some 20000 miles ago, but now it seems tha tthe gaskets are starting to leak again.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Cometic Gasket, Inc. these are Quality ones :s

6. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Letting that ride warm fully before jumping on and taking off will go a long way in helping your problem too.

7. mrjoe2u

mrjoe2u Member

I never rev an engine that has not warmed up yet. So that is not the cause of the problem.

8. y2kflhr

y2kflhr Active Member

it is very hard to find the trock tool nowadays, I thought my base gaskets were leaking again and tried to find one and couldn't it was back ordered, fortunately for me it was a pushrod oring leaking not the base gaskets, I just cleaned it all up and put it back together and so far no leak.

last year when I did my base gaskets I bought some flat ceramic tile, cut a hole and used lapping compound to work the surfaces as flat as I could get them, I guess it really did work....

I got a lot of great info here...

taking apart my evo dyna for base gaskets - Harley Davidson Community

9. mrjoe2u

mrjoe2u Member

I'll keep the Cometics in mind.