free website stats program Triple tree installation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Triple tree installation

Actually unless your wires are outside the bars you prolly won't have enough slack to slide the throttle off.

In any case when you put them back on, clean all the old loctite off and put some new blue loctite and torque them back to manual specs. I just tightened mine once without torquing them and they came loose with me while riding, not cool.

Also after reading several posts of riser bolts breaking, if you are putting on T bars or any kind of riserless bars, I would recommend replacing the riser bolts.

Oh and the rubber strap thingy has to be kinda thin or it won't fit between the cap and the tree on some. I've seen rubber pads (like 4 inches x 4 inches) that are used to open jars that would work.

I just replaced my Dyna bars, and greased my stem bearings last week. Here's what I did
* cover tank (throw rug upside down is my favorite.
* I tapped on the center of my bolt cover a bit, then used a jar opener rubber to grip and remove the cover.
* loosen bar clamps a little
* tie, tape or bungee cord a broom stick to right frame leg. This is to tie master cyl. and throttle assy. to.
* remove screws from left switch assy. and clutch clamp, and remove.
* now finish loosening bar clamps and let bars rest on tank. Remove clamp cap and slide bars to left out of brake clamp and throttle assy. Secure master cyl to broom stick.
Reverse to install.

I only dropped my stem to grease. To replace, I suggest removing the front wheel if you don't have a lift that's tall enough to drop it all the way out with wheel attached. I adjusted my fall away before I put the clutch cable back on.

To R W B n Breeze3at thx for the replies you both have eased my worries tenfold!How would u suggest taking off the old grips,since i have new NYC chopper grips to install?Before i take em off the old bars or after i nstalled everything?My new grips are all aluminum w/a set screw should i still use some spray adhesive or something?~Thanks a MIL!~Steve

To R W B n Breeze3at thx for the replies you both have eased my worries tenfold! How would u suggest taking off the old grips, since i have new NYC chopper grips to install? Before i take em off the old bars or after i nstalled everything? My new grips are all aluminum w/a set screw should i still use some spray adhesive or something?~Thanks a MIL!~Steve

Well the throttle just comes off when you disassemble it. The left grip I would take it off before removing the old bars.

I also prefer to take grips off when bars are still on bike. I think your grips may be attached 2 ways. A boss on the end of left grip fits inside the switch housing, and they may be glued. I remove the switch housing and stick a tiny screw driver between grip and bar and squirt isoproply alcohol in, the work grip around and it usually slips right off. I prefer alcohol, because it doesn't leave oil film, and it makes rubber super slippery. If your throttle side doesn't come with a new tube, use same procedure.
I'd go with just the setscrew at first. You can always add glue.

Back