free website stats program Triple tree installation | Harley Davidson Forums

Triple tree installation

trophy666

Hello i am about to install my new triple trees on my 09 bob does anyone know a way to unscrew the stem cap w/out buying the HD tool? Also when removing the hand controls is it necessary to remove and drain the front master cylinder or will they come off as a unit? sorry this is my 1st attempt at this and any advice/tricks would be greatly appreciated!~Thank again ~Steve

Hello i am about to install my new triple trees on my 09 bob does anyone know a way to unscrew the stem cap w/out buying the HD tool? Also when removing the hand controls is it necessary to remove and drain the front master cylinder or will they come off as a unit? sorry this is my 1st attempt at this and any advice/tricks would be greatly appreciated!~Thank again ~Steve

I have heard of using once of those rubber jar lid openers. I did mine with a Harbor Freight rubber strap Oil filter wrench.

The hand controls come off as a unit. I always hang mine with a small rope from my garage ceiling so they don't dangle all over.

Never replaced the trees before, let me know how it goes

Be careful not to loose any of the throttle assembly, there are a bunch of little springs and such in there

I have actually just hung the handlebars in place from the ceiling, with hand controls still in place, when I had to replace a bad riser.

Thanks for the helpful tips already! I forgot to mention w the tress i am also changing the bars thats why i was wondering when i unplug all the connections, i was thinking i could slide the controls off the stock bars w/the wiring as a unit does this sound possible?~Thanks again i like the rubber strap filter tip!~Steve

Thanks for the helpful tips already! I forgot to mention w the trees i am also changing the bars thats why i was wondering when i unplug all the connections, i was thinking i could slide the controls off the stock bars w/the wiring as a unit does this sound possible?~Thanks again i like the rubber strap filter tip!~Steve

Some bars if you turn them all the way to the right you can slide the throttle assembly off the end just by loosening it. (This is also convenient for doing a fall away test to keep the cables from interfereing) But make sure you loosen your star friction adjuster all the way loose or it will spring up when you come off the bars. Be careful with the throttle assembly in any case, some of those little things in there are tiny and they can get lost.

But the Clutch and Brake assemblys you are gonna have to remove them and hanging them makes it easy to work with. There are several ways to get your left grip off the old bars, one way that I heard was kinda cool, he just uses a real small air blower fitting (hooked to his compressor) and lifts the end of the grip up with a standard driver and sticks the blower fitting in. He says it blows right off the end of the bars. Never seen it though.

Most folks loosen them with some WD40 and work on it for a bit. Good luck with it and let me know how it goes. I've never had the trees off before.

Back