free website stats program trip out west | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

trip out west

Man I live out west and when its hot I only ride early in the morning or late at night when the temp. drops to about 110 or lower. Good luck and drink WATER, LOTS OF WATER.

The only thing I can add is to get some carmex or chap stick. Rode to Phoenix last August and that was the only thing I did not use (on the way there.) My lips were real bad, just as bad as a sunburn could be.

I have the opportunity to ride out west with good friends (from illinois to nevada and back ) in late july.. i know it is going to be hot but will the heat totally make the ride unbearable. this will be my first opportunity to ride out west..would the heat deter anyone from making the trip. if you would take the trip how would u prepare the bike for the heat...
WAP.gif

I'm already using synthetic oil and have an oil cooler, so anything else would be to look after my health and comfort. I'd avoid heavy traffic areas, such a rush hour in the cities or construction zones. Mind you I'd avoid cities except for lodging, gas or food and even then I'd be closer to the outskirts instead of heading to city centres. I'd also try to get going earlier in the day to take advantage of cooler temps.

Keep hydrated, use sunscreen and lip balm. Save the alcoholic drinks for the end of the day when you can sit and relax and shoot the breeze with your buds.

Ride safe and enjoy.

i took a trip in august from n.y. to utah and back.total 21 states , 7000 miles in 3 weeks,, get a cup holder for your handle bars, it will help, long sleeve white shirt, and always keep helmet on, despite urge to ride without it and be cool:(
stop about every 150 miles to get gas weather you think you need it or not, get fresh water or gatorade. Eat lightly for b;fast and especially lunch, as this will curb the urge to get tired as you ride..(blood leaves brain and goes to tummy) always excellerate past 18 wheelers, they (EDIT) for us bike riders..i had one blow a hydraulic line as i just passed him...whew!! almost a mess,,:D
start looking for a room as you near your day, if you cant park near the front of motel, put bike out of sight, and remove all unlocked stuff into room.
use sunscreen often and baby 50 spf, it is less likely to sting the eyes, also get some balmex for your butt, (hey ya never know) as your riding, do some exercise if you feel comfortable doing that riding,, arms, legs ,neck ..
day.night goggles also, rain gear a MUST! hope that helps. one other thing, dont over pack, with clothes, you can wash stuff at most hotels every so often.
trinkets can be mailed home as you accumulate to much, cell phone charger and camera with charger. Have fun enjoy.....memories forever...:small3d028:

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I mail home my dirty clothes so I don't have to do laundry and tend to buy new shirts every trip as souvenirs so it creates room and extra socks and underwear
take little room in the bags
Of course on longer trips you need to air out the package when you get home

If staying in hotels and a dorm fridge is available. Freeze a few bottles of water for the next day. Water stays colder longer. Nothing worse than sipping warm water in the hot desert:sd

I mail home my dirty clothes so I don't have to do laundry and tend to buy new shirts every trip as souvenirs so it creates room and extra socks and underwear
take little room in the bags
Of course on longer trips you need to air out the package when you get home

I carry gallon zip loc freezer bags for my dirty socks and such. They help keep the odor from everything else and don't take up much room when empty and are disposable when necessary.

Back