free website stats program Trip/miles reset button | Harley Davidson Forums

Trip/miles reset button

alto

I did try a search in self help..perhaps i missed it. My 2001 Ultra trip reset button stopped working. Can't reset or switch to odometer...big problem to fix? A. Dealer type situation? I've never removed the outer fairing..Anyone ever had to fix this minor/ yet annoying problem?

Not a big deal to replace. Pretty inexpensive. Getting to it inside the fairing may prove to be a pretty daunting task.

Appreciate the info. Getting the fairing outer off may be beyond my comfort level.....i'll check with the dealer..i can change fluids.. That's about it.

Fairing is pretty simple to remove.Remove the 3 windshield screws,slip out windshield.Remove 2 screws below and near speakers, 1 on each side. Now there are 2 more screws just above the lower triple tree.1 on each side, Turn the steering to left or right to see these. I usually use a flashlight for those 2, loosing eye sight in old age(lol). I believe the 4 screws on the riders side of fairing are T27 torxs. Once all 7 screws are out pull fairing out & up to clear the running lights. Then unplug the headlight. There are 2 plastic catches to squeeze on the Hdlgt. plug to release it. You should now be able to see the Reset switch for removal. Go for the Roses
tourbox

I did try a search in self help..perhaps i missed it. My 2001 Ultra trip reset button stopped working. Can't reset or switch to odometer...big problem to fix? A. Dealer type situation? I've never removed the outer fairing..Anyone ever had to fix this minor/ yet annoying problem?

Harley Davidson Community The pics are missing but the text is clear

Fairing removal is easy. Put some socks over the road lights to prevent scratches. If you don't have road lights, be SURE to put something over your fender or you WILL scratch it by dropping the fairing down on it. JUST LOOSEN the 3 screws under the windshield enough to remove the wind shield. Put it where it won't get scratched. Remove the inner bolts inside the fork tubes by the lower triple tree. Remove the 2 remaining bolts on the inner fairing by the handlebar grips. Remove the 3 screws from under the windshield. Lean the fairing forward enough to unplug the headlight. Remove the outer fairing.

To get to that button, you will probably have to pull the radio. That requires a long (about 8") ball-head allen socket. Be careful inside that fairing so as not to damage any wiring as there is a LOT of it in there... Thus the name "Electra-Glide".

Thanks, all...lots of fine info. If i attempt it, I think i'll wait until the end of riding season.Our, CT, season is too short as it is..
Fine people who are always willing to help with advice...thanks again

One Important thing when putting the fairing back on is to make sure you have a good seal between the Outer & inner fairing. You dont want water seeping in during a ride under a rainstorm or even during a bike wash.
Just make sure you tighten each bolt a little at a time ; sort of what you would do with your car tires.

Back