free website stats program trike wont move forward... help!! | Harley Davidson Forums

trike wont move forward... help!!

ladytriker

I have an 06 Harley Ultra Classic trike with the DFT conversion kit. I was out riding last night and was at a stoplight put it in gear and it would not go. It starts, goes into gear and drives in reverse but wont go forward. The belt does move. Any ideas?

First, welcome to the forum! I am not familiar with the Trikes or the Transmissions used in them but I am sure someone with the knowledge will come along. Another member that goes by trike lady (sounds familiar?? :)) has been building trikes for some time. Maybe she will stumble across this thread and give some input.

I looked at the DFT Trike website and it states that the stock drive system is used with your system. Are you using the stock drive system with an added Reverse Gear System like this one - Reverse Gear for Harley's - or are you using a different transmission with a reverse altogether?

Also, have you tried moving the Trike in all the forward gears and what, if any, noises did it make when this happened and is there any unusual noises when you put it in gear now?

You say the belt moves when you put it in gear.If the belt and rear pulley are moving you have broken the rear spool (differential) Put the bike on a lift and tie it down.Then start it and put it in gear.Look under and confirm that the rear pulley is turning as well as the outer housing of the spool that it is mounted to,then tell us what you see and we will try and help from there.
The spool is not that hard to take apart if this is the problem.They only look intimidating:s

STEVE07, would it still move in reverse if the rear spool is broken? I was thinking internal trans problem but maybe I misunderstood the OP.

Re-read the OP and STEVE07 you are correct sir. Belt moves in forward gear = busted differential :wall Still seems odd that it would move in reverse but like I said, I have no experience with the Trikes but like to learn more about them. Gives me something else to read about :D

The reverse gear shift unit could be damaged.
Was there any strange sound when the trike was put in gear at the light?
How many miles on the trike?
If the trike is put in neutral and rolled, does it roll easily?
Is the reverse unit manual or electric?

Ok, its on a lift, you cannot spin the wheels freely in neutral. When its in 1st gear there are shavings falling on the floor. Bolts look like maybe they snapped off in rear end. Was told we need probably need a new rear end.

There was no strange noise before it happened.
It has about 20K miles and a manual reverse.
It does not roll in neutral now. Like its locked up. :(

Ok, its on a lift, you cannot spin the wheels freely in neutral. When its in 1st gear there are shavings falling on the floor. Bolts look like maybe they snapped off in rear end. Was told we need probably need a new rear end.

There was no strange noise before it happened.
It has about 20K miles and a manual reverse.
It does not roll in neutral now. Like its locked up. :(

There's a pretty good assembly manual on the DFT website. If the sprocket bolts are sheared, it doesn't look all that difficult to replace them. At worst, you may have to replace the differential spool (step 9 -13).
http://www.dfttrikes.com/pix/DFT_HD_install_instructions.pdf

I have an 06 Harley Ultra Classic trike with the DFT conversion kit. I was out riding last night and was at a stoplight put it in gear and it would not go. It starts, goes into gear and drives in reverse but wont go forward. The belt does move. Any ideas?

How about an update?

Back