free website stats program Trike ?s | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trike ?s

I have 5 deg Pro One raked trees. The previous owner installed the trees and 2" over tubes, which turned out to be just about right for the trike conversion and my taste. Some like to go to 7 deg to make steering even lighter, but some also complain that 7 deg makes it a little too squirrelly. In general more rake in the trees will reduce trail and make steering easier. A trike conversion without raked trees can be just too 'heavy' for some. Frankenstein recommends 7 deg trees and have them available. One thing I really like about the Frankenstein is that it is very basic and you can make your trike into whatever you want - from a chopper to a cruiser with a body and storage. You can start out simple and add later as funds permit if you want. The Sportster makes a really nice trike.

For the Sportster you'd use the 5 degree triple trees.
I put this kit a couple of years ago on a Sportster.
This is a kit that you can install on the weekend, it's not complex.
Below is the trike and trees.

Attachments

• trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 13
  • harly-davidson_sportster_trike_kit.jpg
    harly-davidson_sportster_trike_kit.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 17
I have 5 deg Pro One raked trees. The previous owner installed the trees and 2" over tubes, which turned out to be just about right for the trike conversion and my taste. Some like to go to 7 deg to make steering even lighter, but some also complain that 7 deg makes it a little too squirrelly. In general more rake in the trees will reduce trail and make steering easier. A trike conversion without raked trees can be just too 'heavy' for some. Frankenstein recommends 7 deg trees and have them available. One thing I really like about the Frankenstein is that it is very basic and you can make your trike into whatever you want - from a chopper to a cruiser with a body and storage. You can start out simple and add later as funds permit if you want. The Sportster makes a really nice trike.

Nice lookin trike. On mine I can also do as you do. keepin it simple or adding to my likes. Mines sits and steers nicely with EZ steer 5.5 rake, 2" over stock down tubes and a 21" weld wheel.

zoood

Trikes are a blast to ride, and I think in many ways safer than 2 wheelers. I've had many trikes since I was 17 - from VWs to V8s, and quite a few two wheelers in between. Now that I'm getting up in years I'll probably stay on 3. You don't see a whole lot of Frankentseins out there, so you will get a lot of comments and questions - be ready! If you've never driven a trike, try to take a course and take it real easy until you get used to it. Very different from a 2 wheeler - you steer, not lean.

Trikes are a blast to ride, and I think in many ways safer than 2 wheelers. I've had many trikes since I was 17 - from VWs to V8s, and quite a few two wheelers in between. Now that I'm getting up in years I'll probably stay on 3. You don't see a whole lot of Frankentseins out there, so you will get a lot of comments and questions - be ready! If you've never driven a trike, try to take a course and take it real easy until you get used to it. Very different from a 2 wheeler - you steer, not lean.

You don't see a whole lot of Frankentseins out there,

You mean baby boomers,... right? lol j/k

173ABN - Should you go through with this, your wife may find she has trouble getting you off it once you ride it a few times. But then you could always trike yours! You'd just have to put a rev limiter on hers so you could keep up with her. (-:

You don't see a lot of Frankenstein kits, because not too many people have heard of them, not many people wanted to convert a Sportster. I brought the unit to my former community to a lady with physical disabilities. Other people didn't know a Sportster could be turned into a trike.
173ABN,
Is the Sporty an 883? In time you may want to make it a 1200.

Well, I finally scanned the photo and this is the Sportster with the Frankenstein conversion.

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 20
Back