free website stats program Trickle Charging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trickle Charging

I installed my own fused quick release wiring to the battery. The cable came with my Schumaker trickle charger, 1.5A. Cost me about $25. I have 4 chargers total, 1 each wired to each of my bikes, the others to other batteries I need maintained. They all sense when the battery is fully charged and shut down to a 'maintain' level.

While those 'Battery Tenders' are nice, why spend that kind of money when there are other cheaper priced options out there which can do the same thing. Just my way of thinking, being the cheap curmudgeon that I am.

I have an 09 dyna wide glide and I would like to know how to hook up the trickle charger to the battery without having to remove the battery for the winter. I've been told I can do this but I dont know how. Can anybody help me?
==========================================================
Heronboy; Well your question got hijacked pretty thoroughly huh? To hook up the trickle charger pigtail to your bike, it's black to negative (-) terminal, and red to positive (+) terminal. Remove bolts from battery one at a time and connect one pigtail, and tighten. BE CAREFUL with RED, it's hot, will make sparks and other undesireable effects if your wrench touches metal and positive terminal at the same time. I wrap some tape around my wrench when doing this. The bolt heads are usually 10mm metric.

The Battery Tender pigtail is available separately for $9.99 at most Indy and HD retailers and should be FUSED...some come with 1.5A up to 7.5A usually labeled on the moulded cover. And do be careful to turn ignition on, then pull maxi fuse on newer model bikes so the alarm does not blast your ears

...and as Steve said to prevent sparks from flying, shut ignition, dsconnect - Black side first if possible, then the + Red terrminal. When installing, connect + Red side first, then the -Black terminal. As a precaution, use or insulate that screwdriver or wrench handle to prevent contacting grounded parts in the area.

Dealers choice to install them, see the local HD showroom using BT chargers to keep the batteries fresh, especially for test ride weekends...:D

Last edited:
GS is right, they are not factory wired some dealerships put them on and some dont, we always install them on our bikes before we sell them, just like the one that captkirkis pictured above, but all the ones we install do have an inline fuse with them (which i would recomend) if it doesnt and your worried about your siren goin off just turn your ignition on for a second, then turn it right back off and pull your maxi fuse before your lights flash meaning the security is activated, then you can disconnect your battery and install a fuse with no screaming siren. Hope that helps out some. good luck.

You'll catch on fast. If you see a post and feel you have something to add, or wish to make a comment, just jump right in there.
There is a lot of combined knowledge here....not all of it direct HD knowledge but just general mechanical knowledge from years of experience.
Lots of good folks, and everyone more than willing to learn and to help each other.
Welcome, and jump right on in.

Back