free website stats program Trickle charge | Harley Davidson Forums

Trickle charge

Rapedape

Banned
I have a trickle charger but I hav'nt put it on my battery since I put the bike away. My ? is how long should a person put a battery on charge before pulling it off.( with a trickle charger) Thanx !!!:)

Last edited:
I have a trickle charger but I hav'nt put it on my battery since I put the bike away. My ? is how long should a person put a battery on charge before pulling it off.( with a trickle charger) Thanx !!!:)

I think that depends on your trickle charger, and if it is even designed to fully charge a substantially discharged battery. The little unit I have does have the necessary circuitry to do so, but it will take a long time. For my batteries that get very low, I also have a 2/6 amp inexpensive charger that I can use to do the yeoman's share of getting it up to full charge, and then I use the trickle charger (every day) to maintain the battery fully charged.

Look up your charger online and see if it is designed for use on a substantially discharged battery.

TQ

Charge time depends on the depth of the discharge in the battery and the output of the charger.

Check this out.

Battery Charge Time Calculator

In the big bike, I have an ODYSSEY Drycell PC 925LMJ which has the following specs Odyssey PC925 LMJ
  • 925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • Short circuit current over 2400A
  • 28 amp hours
  • 50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
  • Measurements (for Harley mounts):
  • Length 6 5/8"
  • Width 4 15/16"
  • Height 7"
  • Weighs 25.5 lbs
I got the Battery Tender Jr. for Christmas. Its charging rate is nominally 750mA (Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs Battery Tender Jr.).

So on the assumption that my Odyssey is COMPLETELY discharged (not gonna happen!) and using the calculator Glider gave us above, it would take about 38.4 hours to completely charge the battery with the Junior!! As I recall, the battery was supposed to be charged "over night" on a "slow charge" before its first use.

As I said in my post above, I use my 2A/6A charger to get the battery up to fully charged, and then just keep it on the tender. Since I ride almost every day (weather permitting), I just plug in the pig-tail when I park in the garage, and the battery is fully charged next time I go to ride.

TQ

Last edited:
Back