free website stats program tri-glide rear brake pedal feel | Harley Davidson Forums

tri-glide rear brake pedal feel

brownfoxx1

Attention PERFORMANCE MACHINE; Please manufacture a 3/4 or 1 inch rear
master cylinder for the tri-glide.reasons:
1. everyone wants to upgrade the brakes, but we are stuck with the 5/8"bore
that on the tri-glides.
2. many, many peple have written the HMO about the weak rear brakes, and they have refused to upgrade.

anyone else got a opinion or influence with Performance Machine?

I have an 09 Tri Glide. The rear brakes are pretty soft on mine as well...however, knowing the rear brakes only apply about 30% of total breaking power...I've accepted the fact that those rear brakes aren't all that good and adjust my driving habits as necessary to try to mitigate whatever the issue/concern is. I hope that makes sense.

To make sure I am learning here...when you refer to "HMO"...are you talking Harley Maintenance Office" or something similar? School me 'ol wise ones!!!

I've been doing some research on the Tri Glide models (2009-present) and found something I think may be of interest to this thread group. As a rule of thumb, the front break provides some 70% of "braking" ability...while the rear brake only does about 30% of the work. I too felt the rear brake wasn't doing as well as it could until I found the above mentioned statistic.

With this in mind...for those that complained that this brake issue was a major problem...could it be not such a big issue now? Also, has anyone tried to mod (or anything) their OE brakes to get them to work better? If so, what did you do?

Attention PERFORMANCE MACHINE; Please manufacture a 3/4 or 1 inch rear
master cylinder for the tri-glide.reasons:
1. everyone wants to upgrade the brakes, but we are stuck with the 5/8"bore
that on the tri-glides.
2. many, many peple have written the HMO about the weak rear brakes, and they have refused to upgrade.

anyone else got a opinion or influence with Performance Machine?

a little pricey but I bet they'd get the job done!

Performance Machine - Categories And Parts

I've been doing some research on the Tri Glide models (2009-present) and found something I think may be of interest to this thread group. As a rule of thumb, the front break provides some 70% of "braking" ability...while the rear brake only does about 30% of the work. I too felt the rear brake wasn't doing as well as it could until I found the above mentioned statistic.

With this in mind...for those that complained that this brake issue was a major problem...could it be not such a big issue now? Also, has anyone tried to mod (or anything) their OE brakes to get them to work better? If so, what did you do?

After 12000 miles, I went the cheap way out and just replaced my rear pads on my 2010 TG with the larger 2011 style H-D pads. Also cleaned up the calipers, adjusted parking brake. The rotors weren't scored so nothing done there. Seems to be braking better than the original pads ever did.
BTW, also did the front which never had a flaw in braking!

After 12000 miles, I went the cheap way out and just replaced my rear pads on my 2010 TG with the larger 2011 style H-D pads. Also cleaned up the calipers, adjusted parking brake. The rotors weren't scored so nothing done there. Seems to be braking better than the original pads ever did.
BTW, also did the front which never had a flaw in braking!
Hey Boom: Can you give me the P/N for the larger '11 rear pads? Thanks,

Hey Boom: Can you give me the P/N for the larger '11 rear pads? Thanks,

I can't find the number anywhere but a dealer would have it. That's the only rear pads they will sell now and they come in a kit with new pins and locking nuts for p.b. actuator levers. The smaller pads for the '09s and '10s are obsolete.

Boom, Any idea if this has anything to do with the recall announced late last week? I don't remember everything said in the recall (figured I just need to get her in to the shop), but I thought it had something to do with the rear brakes. Does anyone have more info on this topic or the recently announced recall?

I can't find the number anywhere but a dealer would have it. That's the only rear pads they will sell now and they come in a kit with new pins and locking nuts for p.b. actuator levers. The smaller pads for the '09s and '10s are obsolete.

Great. Then I don't have to argue
WAP.gif

Boom, Any idea if this has anything to do with the recall announced late last week? I don't remember everything said in the recall (figured I just need to get her in to the shop), but I thought it had something to do with the rear brakes. Does anyone have more info on this topic or the recently announced recall?

The recall only has to do with replacing the rear brake switch which is failing.
WAP.gif

Back