free website stats program Transportation | Harley Davidson Forums

Transportation

kareem

Hello Community Folks!!

The last day my bike a Dyna Super Glide Sport was transported by a logistics company to my home (winter, ice...).

Instead of transporting the bike standing and fiexed in the truck the logistics company put the bike resting on the left side (opposite side of exhaust system) in the truck. (edited) never have seen this before!

The effect was that oil was running out. The oil seemed to come out from above the chaincase it was definitely not coming out of the chain case or cluth inspection cover (nor harm to this gaskets).

What kind of oil is this: motor oil, primary chain oil or transmission oil (which I think it is not)?

May this have caused any damage to the air cleaner or carburator or any part else where the oil might have creeped in...

What should I inspect/take care of?

Thank you for your answers and advice!!!

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
What a bunch of jerks to lay a bike down to transport it. I hope you are holding them responsible for any damages to the bike even if it is a scratch.

More than likely you are seeing the trans oil from the vent hose on top of the trans. Check all the fluids before starting it and find which one is low to see where it came from to be sure.

What idiots!!

I think Glider is right. If your tranny vent is a short piece of black tubing shaped like an upside down "J" betweem the primary and the tranny, it is probably the source of your oil leak.

Unless you had just done so, why don't you dump ALL your lubricants, change the engine oil filter and start fresh. Remember, most of the folks on this site will suggest a full synthetic (not SYN3) engine oil in the engine, full synthetic gear lube in the tranny, and a fit-for-purpose fluid in the primary. Check the self-help section for specifics.

TQ

What idiots!!

I think Glider is right. If your tranny vent is a short piece of black tubing shaped like an upside down "J" betweem the primary and the tranny, it is probably the source of your oil leak.

Unless you had just done so, why don't you dump ALL your lubricants, change the engine oil filter and start fresh. Remember, most of the folks on this site will suggest a full synthetic (not SYN3) engine oil in the engine, full synthetic gear lube in the tranny, and a fit-for-purpose fluid in the primary. Check the self-help section for specifics.

TQ

Ok thank you for your answers!!!

I took another look at the bike. The oil is not coming out of the transmission part (tranny lube) but the hose running from the tranny is a little bit oily but I think this is because of the oil running out of the chaincase (an the bike was lying on the left side).
Yesterday I took another look and there were drops of oil hanging down from the gasket next to the main chaincase gasket a the lower side near to the screw with which the tranny oil can be remove. See at the picture. I marked the part where the oil is running out (especially where the bolts for fixing the chaincase cover a installed).
Do you think the the gaskets where damaged beacause the bike was lying on the side?

Can the low temerature be the cause that the oil is creeping slowly and therefore it takes a while till it can be seen. But I remove the oil before and now it is again there If have read that if gaskets are not totally clean of oil it can happen that oil is running out for a little while but this stops... but I also know that oil should be put on the oil filter gasket when removed for better gripping when hand tightened again. Should I thighten the chaincase bolts a little bit? Or does this make no sense? Especially the bolts at the lower side could be oily because the bike was lying and now is standing again and so the oil is coming from behind the chaincase where the secondary belt is installed...So many questions..

Is it right that the formula+ hd oil can be used for the tranny as well as for chaincase oiling (dyna super glide sport). I know the motoroil is a different one.

I hesitate a little bit to open the chaincase because one always hears of people who broke bolts by screwing them in again too thight. A friend of mine broke the oil removal bolt at his bmw car and had to remove the oil pan at a sevice station - this was really expensive...

Thank you so far from Austria!!!!

Attachments

• New Picture.jpg
    New Picture.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 15
Most importantly is to thoroughly clean the bike and see where and if the oil leaks again. I would also notify the shipper of the problem at this time.

Next check the fluid levels to see what is low.

The Formula+ can be used in the trans and primary but there are much better choices to be used in the trans.

Don't tighten the primary cover bolts because they have a torque value. If anything loosen them and re torque them.

Most importantly is to thoroughly clean the bike and see where and if the oil leaks again. I would also notify the shipper of the problem at this time.

Next check the fluid levels to see what is low.

The Formula+ can be used in the trans and primary but there are much better choices to be used in the trans.

Don't tighten the primary cover bolts because they have a torque value. If anything loosen them and re torque them.

ok which oils do you prefer:

For motoroil I take hd 20/50
What would you suggest for transmission and chanicase (primary chain).
I don`t want do start a oil debate but I want to hear your personal suggestion and advice. May I kindly ask you to wirte a few words why you come to your oil use advice!
Thank you!!

There's all sorts of oil topics in this forum.

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

As for what I use, I like the Mobil1 V Twin 20/50 for the engine, Formula+ for the primary and Spectro platinum for the trans. The reason I use these are because I find they work well, all but the Formula+ are synthetic and stand up to more heat before breaking down and lastly because I have found them to be quality oils as compared to other brands from using them over the years not only in my own bikes but others too.

Back