free website stats program Transmission | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission

Re: Transmission oil level

I checked my stick very carefully and it is well cast and solid. I through about changing to a oil with some color so it would be easy to read.
I figured there has got to be a better and cheaper way to do this. I have no problem with the lubricant I now use. Old saying: "There is always more than one way to skin a cat". If you want to change to a lubricant with color, do it.
This is just another option.

It's your bike do want you want but I just thought I would mention the problem with these dipsticks. I have read about many that have broken while intact. Last thing you need is that piece floating around in your tranny. A few years ago I was checking my level and dropped it from no more than two feet and it broke in half. That is when I cut it down to the base and use it for a plug. Bought another to use just to check the level.

Re: Transmission oil level

It's your bike do want you want but I just thought I would mention the problem with these dipsticks. I have read about many that have broken while intact. Last thing you need is that piece floating around in your tranny. A few years ago I was checking my level and dropped it from no more than two feet and it broke in half. That is when I cut it down to the base and use it for a plug. Bought another to use just to check the level.

Good point oiler. I guess some of them could possible break if you drop it on a concrete floor. I never heard of one breaking while intact. I checked mine again and it is a solid rod and will bend before it break. Be safe out there.

The reason I checked it was when it is in neutral it clunks a little bit, but if you pull the clutch in with it in neutral the clunk stops.
Chuck,

There is another thread in this forum titled "Noise in neutral". Go down to post #6 and that link will take you to a TSB from Harley that actually describes the same issue you are having (as well as me on my 2012 Ultra Limited) and it looks like antoher one of those "this is normal" deals....

Back