free website stats program Transmission | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission

chuck60

Doe's any one know what kind of fluid comes in the tranny from the factory. I just checked mine ( I have had my bike for 4 days ) and it was so clear I could not hardly see it on the dip stick, I had to check it 3 times to make sure it was there.

It could be Formula+ or possibly Syn 3 but more likely the F+.

The trans doesn't get dirty like engine oi will in the engine and will look about the same when you drain it out for a service.

I know exactly what you mean and it still annoys me. I can't see the fluid clearly on the dipstick because it is so clean. I have scuffed up the shiny chrome ( why shiny chrome?) dip stick to help me see it better. It has helped a little bit but so help me, I am thinking of just painting the dipstick heat resistant black so that I can see it much better. Sometimes what I will do is, after removing the dipstick, quickly lay it on a paper towel and you will transfer the fluid onto the towel. You can then line up the wet markings on the towel with the "Add-Full" increments on your dipstick.
Hope that helps.

Use Spectro Platinum 6 Speed Heavy Duty Transmission Oil. It is a better oil for your transmission and is red in colour - easier to read the dipstick.

The reason I checked it was when it is in neutral it clunks a little bit, but if you pull the clutch in with it in neutral the clunk stops.

Last edited:
The reason I checked it was when it is in neutral it clunks a little bit, but if you pull the clutch in with it in neutral the clunk stops.

chuck60,

Would you describe the problem you are having a little better and we will help out with an answer..:)

agree with formal+ and NOT sin3:newsmile055:in the tranny

I use Redline Shockproof Heavy, it is Pink so it is seen easily and gives the best protection IMHO.

If the correct amount of Tranny Gear Oil is used in the bike (32 oz.) and no Leaks, I never check mine as it is always full:D

signed....BUBBIE

Doe's any one know what kind of fluid comes in the tranny from the factory. I just checked mine ( I have had my bike for 4 days ) and it was so clear I could not hardly see it on the dip stick, I had to check it 3 times to make sure it was there.

chuck60,

Would you describe the problem you are having a little better and we will help out with an answer..:)

agree with formal+ and NOT sin3:newsmile055:in the tranny

I use Redline Shockproof Heavy, it is Pink so it is seen easily and gives the best protection IMHO.

If the correct amount of Tranny Gear Oil is used in the bike (32 oz.) and no Leaks, I never check mine as it is always full:D

signed....BUBBIE
Chuck, Bubbie has given u good advice here, Maybe want to change the fluid yourself @ 1000 miles, you can use the self help section for details, The Formula + is probably in the tranny now, seems the MOCO decided a while back the Syn 3 not such a good choice:s

When I pulled into the garage today I put the bike in neutral and let go of the clutch and i heard a rattle sound so I checked the tranny fluid and it is so clear I couldn't see it until the 3rd time I checked it, any way when you hold the clutch in ( with the bike in neutral ) there is no rattle sound, so I'm trying to figure out if this is normal.

Back