free website stats program Transmission whine...Newbie member | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission whine...Newbie member

Rebyl

Banned
Just picked up a 2008 Ultra with 5000miles on the clock. bike is great but notice a distinct whine in 5th and 6th gear, is this normal.
Thanks

dealer will tell you 5th gear whine is normal .. i havent noticed a whine in 6th on my road king just 5th

I must not be listening close enough. I haven't noticed a whine in any gear on my FLHX. Switched to Spectro Tranny Oil and it quieted down the actual shifting.

Still under warranty so I guess it has to be up to the Dealer to change, what oil does the dealer normally use..is it the HD oil's?
I am in New Zealand so maybe they are different down here

yep they use H oils.. i also use the spectro six speed stuff it has not made the whine go away

The MOCO preaches that the whine is the result of the straight cut gears in 1'st and 5'th, but anyone with any knowledge of these bikes will realize that in previous 5 speed years, ALL the gears were straight cut and were not as noisy as the new six speeds are.
The 6 speeds have straight and helical cut gears inside. There are other problems with the six speeds being the trap door flexes and plastic bearing retainers also that will show as a chattering (moving) clutch handle under certain conditions. They tried to cheap out on the design and as a result, they ended up with a trans that is not as good as it could be.

Just something else that the customer pays a lot of money to "test" out the new designs that they come out with.

Still under warranty so I guess it has to be up to the Dealer to change, what oil does the dealer normally use..is it the HD oil's?
I am in New Zealand so maybe they are different down here

Absolutely untrue, as has been pointed out in many threads. Using an equal or superior oil, even if it isn't the HD stuff, will NOT void your warranty!

Thanks for the input folks, I will discuss it with the dealer and go from there.
Thanks again

Whoa, Smitty, thanks for catching the obvious that I missed - didn't see that the post came from New Zealand!

Back