free website stats program Transmission Side Door Bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Side Door Bolts

y2kflhr

During my trip last week to the smoky mountains I found that my bike was covered in fluid, I didn't see anything that looked apparently loose till I got a chance to wash the bike down with simple green and do a good inspection with some tools in hand.

What I found is that the tranny side door bolts (not the chrome cover), were loose, the bottom ones that hold the exhaust clamp were not even hand tight!

My question is the manual says tighten to 13-18lbs, but makes no reference to whether I should have loctite on them, so I don't know if I have to pull the bolts out and re loctite them and which loctite to use, red or blue, or can I just tighten them up, I also think this would mean pulling apart the exhaust system to get a real torque read on the bottom bolts.

This is an 09 Ultra

any input as to torqueing and loctite appreciated

thanks in advance

thats the answer I was looking for, unfortunately I have to pull the exhaust off to get to it....dang....

And the peace of mind knowing it is done right...not "passed" over during dealer service. :s Routine maintenance done by the owner in the know is always best...too easy for shop help to miss the details.

I had just done the 20k service, I thought I missed this as a "critical fastener", it isn't listed as one, kinda of surprising really, it does seem kind of weird as something that came loose....

1 more question...

In the manual it gives a tighten pattern, my thought about pulling the bolts is to pull them one at a time in the reverse order and snug them up before doing a final tighten, is this the way to approach this? I don't want to mess up the transmission or crack the case

thanks again

1 more question...

In the manual it gives a tighten pattern, my thought about pulling the bolts is to pull them one at a time in the reverse order and snug them up before doing a final tighten, is this the way to approach this? I don't want to mess up the transmission or crack the case

thanks again

That will work as long as the final tightening is done in the proper sequence.

thanks....

I called the dealer to see if this is something that should be covered under warranty and they tell me that it can be, so I am bringing it in tomorrow....we shall see

she is at the dealer, they didn't really make a big deal about having to fix it, "stuff loosens up", well okey dokey! I made them mark my files because I don't want to deal with a problem if my transmission bearings are trashed when the warranty runs out, not that I think this will effect it, but just in case.

Now on to that shovelhead......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back