free website stats program transmission side door bolts loose | Harley Davidson Forums

transmission side door bolts loose

lordharold

I work as a service tech in a now ind. shop just a heads up i have been seeing a lot of tranny side door bolts coming loose, usually bottom two bolts that hold the exhaust bracket to the side door and causing leaks on mostly 09 and later touring. like I said just a heads up if you notice you are having a leak in that area.

Had this happen just a few weeks ago, took awhile to figure out...When it's on the side stand the fluid rolls down and off the oil pan and looks just like an oil leak coming from the plug. As I had just changed the oil the weekend before I saw the leak, I spent hours trying to find a none existant oil leak before I figured it out. Oh well I know what to check first next time. Live and Learn...

The identical thing happened to my buddy on his 2011 Road King. He hunted for a couple days for that leak. It would only drip one or two drops from the opposite side of the bike when parked on the jiffy stand. And, like Wrenchin" did, a couple of drops of blue loc-tite...no more problem.

Thanks for the heads up.

That has been happening prior to 09. I usually remove, clean them and blue locktite and reinstall the bolts.

I would suggest running a tap in the holes and cleaning them out with some brake clean so you get a true torque and the new loctite will work better JMO

Back