free website stats program Transmission Sensor Failure, 2000 FXDWG | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Sensor Failure, 2000 FXDWG

How to diagnose problems that are sometimes not to revealing, or effecting other systems on the bike that I would have never thought they were on the same fuse, circuit, or ignition harness. Like why dose the transmission sensor, or speedometer sensor blow fuses, and kill the break light and the speedometer lights, and engine light..? But neutral and the oil light still work? They are on a seperate fuse. Gauge fuse, but they are blowing the Ignition fuse the minute I turn on the switch. But the bike still fires and runs without it. I traced the wiring harness looking for shorts to frame and fourn one under the speedometer. That stopped it from shutting down while running like it was tripping the circuit breaker. But I cant find anything else. Could the sensor be causing the entire problem?

Maybe its just me but I am having a hard time understanding what the exact issue(s) are. Maybe tell us what exactly is or isn't happening and what you have done to the bike recently, how long has it been doing it, etc. the more info the better help you will get.

Maybe its just me but I am having a hard time understanding what the exact issue(s) are. Maybe tell us what exactly is or isn't happening and what you have done to the bike recently, how long has it been doing it, etc. the more info the better help you will get.

The first indication was the diagnostic code display on the speedometer, first code read 01set, normally it reads 01Clr. Looked it up and it said transmission sensor low. I checked the fluid and it was low. Refill and reset code, and it comes up again 01set. Next day the speedometer froze at 30 mph spot. No milage power, no gauge power, no break light. only the neutral light and oil light were on. The ignition fuse was blown, and the bike would run about 2 minutes, then just die and coast to a stop.. I figured that was the circuit breaker getting hot and shutting off.. If you cycled the ignition switch back and forth, it would fire back up and run another two minutes and die again. I inspected the wiring harness, and under the speedometer a red wire cap off was shorting out on the tank. So with that repaired it is still blowing the ignition fuse.. A month ago I installed a new charging system kit from j & p and it was functioning properly. The gauges are dark, break light not working, but the gauge fuse is not shorting out, only the ignition fuse is shorting out. I am going to order a new transmission sensor ,circuit breaker, and service manual, to start with from j & p

As far as your d01 set goes it has nothing to do with the tranny fluid level. There is no sensor for level of fluid, only a dip stick. The code refers to your Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS). It is referring to output power being low. That should be your signal to the ECM for the Speedo. You should be on the right track with what you have ordered. Your speed sensor, or transmission sensor as you call it, is HD part # 74420-94C.
J&P may use that as a reference for their P/N. Get back with us when your new parts in and replaced.
tourbox

Thanks Buddy. Through a process of elimination my best guess was to replace the sensor. My new manual is arriving with the parts. That reference should make some of this guessing easier. I have never had a service manual for this bike, but been breaking it down and repairing things by studying it long enough, and getting my torque specks off google. My parts should be here maybe Sat. tomorrow, and I will let you know the outcome.. Thanks again

Ok, I am finally getting back to you guys who I was asking for advice. Well I went through the bike and did quite a bit of upgrades along the way, but never found the short I was looking for. I was not the ignition fuse after all, it's the accy fuse. I pulled out a great deal of the wiring harness looking for the short. Found a couple of questionable areas, that I repaired soldered and shrink wrapped. I have replaced speedometer, transmission sensor, circut breaker, coil, front brake switch, regulator, and other parts not relating to speedometer having no power, and no odometer, no diagnostic codes, and still no brake light. but running light works. My ignition switch only works on the run side.The opposite side is powerless. I pulled and cleaned out the switch seeing no sign of short. I have traced the orange and white wire to everything that is not working. It goes to the turn signal module, the rear brake switch on master cylinder, and to the speedometer harness as well. All from the accy fuse that pops the instant you turn on the ignition switch. The bike runs fine with no fuse, and I have been riding it like this. It would sure be nice to have those components operating, but I tried everything I could attain from the service manual, which is vague in a lot of areas. I just had to put it back together and ride it for a minute so next time I try to figure it out I am less frustrated. I did rebuild the forks, bushings, seals, steering column yoke, which was dry and binding. . Wow what a difference that made. New brake pads, old ones were oiled up from seals leaking. Went back with 7 wt fork oil . Not so stiff as before. Installed new intake gaskets, rebuilt my mikuni 42 carb. the bike runs better than ever.. Still stuck on the speedometer.. Just wanting to give you guys a heads up, and thanks for what you were able to help me on, basically i went through the entire bike and replaced what needed to be, all while stuck on the short. and it was worth it.

Back