free website stats program Transmission Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Questions

chubs

Can a 5 speed transmission straight cut gears be changed to helicut gears,and if so who has them.The bike is a 2006 Ultra Classic.

Can you explain why you are interested in doing that???? Are you having trouble with current trans? Might get you more response..

Can a 5 speed transmission straight cut gears be changed to helicut gears,and if so who has them.The bike is a 2006 Ultra Classic.

I'm sure after market Trannys can be had but whether they are what you want or asking for is another thing.. Go Look at some of the big ticket parts like JP and a few others and Then you will know.. Come back and let us know what you find please..

I think HD did the 5 gear change-out a while back After My 2000 bike.. Just to quiet that gear down. I never had a noise problem with any of my 5 speeds as I use Redline Shockproof Heavy and that quieted them down..

That type of gear, helicut, takes more power to turn than a straight cut gear and is harder on the shafts and bearings with the added Force they generate..

signed....BUBBIE

I bet he does not like the whine of straight cut..
Yes, helical is quiet but it has a lot of side loading.

Thanks for the response about the tranny gears. I bought a 2006 ultra trike with reverse and was told it had heilcut gears in it ,I was unsure because it was a 5 speed ,I had never heard of that. Just going by what I was told and trying to check it out farther.

Back