free website stats program Transmission question | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission question

cruzr

I have a 99 ultra classic with a 5 speed tranny.
I have a friend that has a 6 speed tranny out of an 07 ultra classic.
Will it fit in my 99?

Welcome from So. Texas. In checking some P/N's it could be a hit or miss situation. The '07 Tranny Housing of course has a different P/N than the '99 (5 versus 6). The pivot shaft for the swing arm is also different. It might be easier to buy a 6 sp. casset for your 5 speed housing.
tourbox

No. Aside from the pivot shaft mentioned above, the '07 trans. bolts directly to the engine cases which your '99 does not.

I would agree with tourbox on this one; with some work, I think the later six speed could be transplanted to the early frame. Pivot shaft issue would have to be addressed, not that difficult. The frames are the same with very minor differences, so the box should drop in and bolt directly to the motor case like the 5 speed box. The main difference which I think Breeze3at was getting at is the supply and return oil flow from the oil pan to the motor. The '99 uses exterior fittings and hoses while the '07 has "ports" in the trans case and motor case that eliminates the exterior fittings and hoses to route oil between the oil pan and motor. I think this could be overcome by machining fittings into the side of the trans case to allow oil to pass through the "ports" in the trans case but not having ever done that would have to dig into the details to be sure.

A lot of work and the outcome, AFAIK, uncertain. Best bet is as tourbox suggested; replace your five speed gear set. Unfortunatetly, '07 was the first year for the "klunk" drive six speed in the touring models and that gear set will not fit in the early five speed box. However, if you can find an SE six speed OD cassete, that would be the ticket but they are hard to find. I recently installed a Baker DD6 in an '05 FXSTD and if I had it to do over again, I would have held out and continued my search for the SE unit just because it would have saved $500-$600. There is always the Ultima option; you can get a complete trans for about $500. Some swear by them and others have had issues; however, those with issues have had no customer service issues with Ultima. Ultima will replace a failed tranny without a hassle. A well known builder in Florida runs an Ultima six speed behind a 124" motor and has no issues.;)

Back