Transmission problem

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by olddude, Dec 22, 2012.

1. olddude

olddude Member

I have a 2004 ultra classic. It will not down shift, it will however shift up. I suspect one of the shift forks broke. It is in 3rd gear now and there wasn't any abnormal noise when I limped it home (about 1 mile). Any ideas?:newsmile08:

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Certainly sounds like a fork issue. Just be sure to check the linkage and that all is in order there. Make sure the shift lever isnt hitting the floor board and the obvious things like that. I would try shifting with my hand with the bike off and closely inspecting all the parts. Let us know what you find.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Broken shifter return spring(internal) comes to mind

4. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

Check that the shift lever is tight on the shifter shaft on the outside of the tranny. May be loose.

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Like Jack suspected, shift return spring. Check the lever to see if it returns to center by itself when pushing down or lifting up. If it just drops down, the spring broke.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

7. olddude

olddude Member

Thanks to everyone for all of the info. Jack the article nailed the problem I am having, now to decide if I tackle the problem or take it to my indy. I do have the service manual so some study is comming. Thanks again to all.