free website stats program Transmission overhaul? | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission overhaul?

karlsbike

I am building a new S&S 96" engine for my old sled. As I am also swapping out my rear swingarm, I will have the tranny out and sitting on my workdesk.
The tranny is the only untouched part of my bike in 12 years of ownership, as its been behaving nicely, except a false neutral between 4th & 5th.
This makes the tranny unknown territory to me - question:
Do you recommend to overhaul it?
- any tips as to what to look for/what to replace would be highly appreciated.

I am building a new S&S 96" engine for my old sled. As I am also swapping out my rear swingarm, I will have the tranny out and sitting on my workdesk.
The tranny is the only untouched part of my bike in 12 years of ownership, as its been behaving nicely, except a false neutral between 4th & 5th.
This makes the tranny unknown territory to me - question:
Do you recommend to overhaul it?
- any tips as to what to look for/what to replace would be highly appreciated.

I rebuilt my '91 Dyna back in '99. Unfortunately, I did NOT split the case or gut the tranny then. So that bike is now garaged waiting on the Round Tuit to arrive because the TRANNY has cratered. With all the Builder's Kit gear sets available, I would strongly suggest getting one and redoing the tranny.

TQ

Hi TQ
Thanks for the tip - will look into those builders kits.
The good thing about living a place where the winters are cold & long, is that I have plenty time to figure out what to do (spring ETA end of March).
Will open up the tranny and look around, and see if anything looks worn...
Have you opened the tranny yet - what went wrong?

Have you opened the tranny yet - what went wrong?

Have not. It is not shifting correctly. Will shift UP or DOWN a gear regardless of how tow shifter is actuated. May be able to fix this gear set, but I want a 6-spd for the Dyna anyway, so that is the way I am headed. Will probably go with the Rev-Tech since it is cheap (about US$780).

I don't want to start a food fight here, but my Dyna is my "just for fun" run-around. Not that worried about being a long way away from home on a journey. I put the SE 6-spd assembled tranny on my '03 UC, but would not do that again. I would go with the Baker DD6 if I was doing that again. Robust and reliable.

TQ

I would do as T Q says, my choice would probably be baker back cut gears Less noise and smoother shifting Plus then you know its good to go and all new bearings and tolerances set you should be fine:s

Thanks for the heads up.
TQ, you seem to have your share of tranny problems;). I read through your SE story, and I'm glad it ended well.
Jack - I hear you - a DD6 kit from Baker would be sweet. Only problem is the cost, as I've already bought parts for a complete engine +, and the boss will not be happy if I order 2.5k+ worth of tranny upgrades...
That RevTech tranny - does anyone have real experience with it? I read a lot of bad-mouthing about RevTech engines, but try to only listen to first-hand experience.

Thanks for the heads up.
TQ, you seem to have your share of tranny problems;). I read through your SE story, and I'm glad it ended well.
Jack - I hear you - a DD6 kit from Baker would be sweet. Only problem is the cost, as I've already bought parts for a complete engine +, and the boss will not be happy if I order 2.5k+ worth of tranny upgrades...
That RevTech tranny - does anyone have real experience with it? I read a lot of bad-mouthing about RevTech engines, but try to only listen to first-hand experience.

I think Bubbie has had good experience with RevTech.

TQ

Ive had some experience with rev tec trans for the money they are not bad transmissons the thing about them it seems that 20-25k is the mark where things just get worn out or break, as TQ said he installed one in a run around bike ,goodmove perfect choice for his needs , this is where the you get what you pay for is true , I here but have no experience is to stay away from ultima transmission, I have seen Big dog suppliers on e-bay selling off baker 6spd new old stock for 1.8k .

Thanks for the input.
I've now managed to wriggle out the tranny, so it's now sitting on my desk.
Not sure of the mileage on this scoot, but she must have at least 70-80k under her belt;). The thing is, the gears look almost like new - solid stuff!
Upon close inspection, I see some wear on the shifter drum, and I hear that the shifter return spring is known to break and drop little spring bits in between the gears - not good. As I am quite happy with the stock, int'l gearing (32/61 output) I might keep the gears, and buy a Baker shiftdrum, springs and possbily forks as well.

Thanks for the input.
I've now managed to wriggle out the tranny, so it's now sitting on my desk.
Not sure of the mileage on this scoot, but she must have at least 70-80k under her belt;). The thing is, the gears look almost like new - solid stuff!
Upon close inspection, I see some wear on the shifter drum, and I hear that the shifter return spring is known to break and drop little spring bits in between the gears - not good. As I am quite happy with the stock, int'l gearing (32/61 output) I might keep the gears, and buy a Baker shiftdrum, springs and possbily forks as well.

That pesky spring has caused lots of problems in 5 speeds

Back