free website stats program Transmission oil leak through clutch cable | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission oil leak through clutch cable

MigAZ

I have a braided clutch cable that seems to be letting tranny oil leak out on my '05 RKC.

For those familiar with this issue, is this something that a new o-ring will fix or do you typically replace the entire clutch cable?

I have a braided clutch cable that seems to be letting tranny oil leak out on my '05 RKC.

For those familiar with this issue, is this something that a new o-ring will fix or do you typically replace the entire clutch cable?

I had the cable on my '03 wear through the sheath on the clutch cable assy. Very slow but annoying leak. Only solution was to change out the cable assy.

Your clutch cable may have a SS outer layer, but there must be a poly sheath that the cable runs in. That may have worn through like mine.

But before you go crazy, if the fluid is leaking out at the adjuster, your breather may be clogged and that coupled with a bit of an over fill may be why the fluid is moving up that high in the cable sheath.

Check that first.

TQ

I would pull the cover and replace the "O" ring in there. Don't over tighten the cable when reassembling, they can snap very easy.

TQ, it's leaking where it enters that cover plate at the bottom, where the threaded end is.

OK. Too bad. No way to change out that o-ring without taking the cover off and partially dissassembling enough to get the clutch cable assy unscrewed from cover. Then replace the o-ring. As Glider says above, be carefull when assembling everything not to over-torque the clutch cable in the cover.

TQ

Back