free website stats program Transmission oil dipstick removal tool | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission oil dipstick removal tool

Rick 1062;
Genius! I like it. Almost 60 y/o and never heard of that trick! I just hope I don't forget it before I can use it...
WAP.gif

Some exhausts systems make it harder to get the 3/8 allen wrench in dipstick. I had to cut the short bent end of my allen wrench off quite a bit to get it to miss the exhaust pipe. I left just enough past the bend to get in to seat into the dipstick.
Also when a real bend for an allen wrench, and if what ever you are loosening is not too tight, you can make one easily. For a 3/8" you would need a 1/4" and two 1/4" nuts. These pieces of 1/4" hardware have 3/8" wrench size heads. You can thread the two nuts on the end of the bolt and tighten (lock) the two nuts together. Then put the head of the bolt into the diptstick (or whatever you need to loosen) and put your open end wrench on the nut closest to the bolt head, and back it out (the second nut will keep the one you are wrenching from just spinning on the bolt threads.
This can be done for many allen wrench sizes when you are in a bind and don't have the right size. Works well for larger allen wrench sizes pretty well. If you need more torque, you can use grade 8 nuts and bolts.

1/4 inch nuts are 7/16 wrench size:p

Good post regarding the alternative "shade tree" method...

3/8" Allen = 1/4" Bolt, Head size is 3/8", two 7/16" nuts locked, inner nut to loosen, outer nut to tighten. :)

I use 3/8" Allen or low profile shortend one modified "ala Glider" for tight areas. :D

For real tight fasteners, automotive ones for disc brake calpers are hardened and one piece to fit on a 3/8" or 1/2" drive breaker bar...but do be careful, this is not for "soft" or chrome allen heads...:s

Good post regarding the alternative "shade tree" method...

3/8" Allen = 1/4" Bolt, Head size is 3/8", two 7/16" nuts locked, inner nut to loosen, outer nut to tighten. :)

I use 3/8" Allen or low profile shortend one modified "ala Glider" for tight areas. :D

For real tight fasteners, automotive ones for disc brake calpers are hardened and one piece to fit on a 3/8" or 1/2" drive breaker bar...but do be careful, this is not for "soft" or chrome allen heads...:s

No, 1/4 is 7/16 wrench size 5/16 is 1/2 wrench size 3/8 is 9/16 wrench size if you are talking about nuts on studs or blots of this same diameter:D

Back