free website stats program Transmission oil dipstick removal tool | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission oil dipstick removal tool

DarinDan

I was looking for the proper tool to remove the transmission dipstick. I searched through the self help tips and the search menu to find a certain post that I remember reading to use a 3/8" allen wrench to remove the dipstick. Can anyone verify that this is the proper removal tool. Accomplishing my fluid service today and I do not have the right size allen wrench. Bought the service manual but it does not state the size of tool to utilize. Thanks for everyone's help.

I always use the bigest one in my set of allen keys
went out to shed yes its marked as 3/8"
But thats on my evo engined big twins

Brian

Fin 676,
Thanks for checking. I will be heading out to buy one. I have two sets of allen wrenches but still not the right size. Gives me another chance for tool shopping I guess.

Time tool shopping is never wasted time, i always like to browse at tools even though ive more than enough already
i have three allen wrench sets 1 for the workshop and one in the tool bag on each of the big twins i also have a 3/8" square drive set for use with a ratchet and torque wrench and all thoes sets have a 3/8" aleen in them but perhaps i was selective when i bought them although imperial sized tools are hard to find in the uk as we went metric a long time ago

Brian

if you have a allen wrench that is close to the correct size, you can sometimes stick a flat tip screwdriver in with it, to shim the extra amount. It's not an approved use of tools, and won't work on really tight plugs. It might chip your chrome plug.

Accomplished my 1K fluid service today. 3/8 allen wrench was right on. Thanks for the replies. I thought the dipstick would have more torque. It was loose without applying any torque at all.

Some exhausts systems make it harder to get the 3/8 allen wrench in dipstick. I had to cut the short bent end of my allen wrench off quite a bit to get it to miss the exhaust pipe. I left just enough past the bend to get in to seat into the dipstick.
Also when a real bend for an allen wrench, and if what ever you are loosening is not too tight, you can make one easily. For a 3/8" you would need a 1/4" and two 1/4" nuts. These pieces of 1/4" hardware have 3/8" wrench size heads. You can thread the two nuts on the end of the bolt and tighten (lock) the two nuts together. Then put the head of the bolt into the diptstick (or whatever you need to loosen) and put your open end wrench on the nut closest to the bolt head, and back it out (the second nut will keep the one you are wrenching from just spinning on the bolt threads.
This can be done for many allen wrench sizes when you are in a bind and don't have the right size. Works well for larger allen wrench sizes pretty well. If you need more torque, you can use grade 8 nuts and bolts.

I use the bondus allen wrench the long end is ball shaped so you can go in at an angle to loosen the dip stick . It's real handy on my softail sinct the oil tank is so close and right above the cap .

Back