free website stats program Transmission Noise Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Noise Help

ultra pearl

When I'm moving my 08 Ultra around in my garage before or after a ride. I sometimes get a knocking noise from the transmission. It happens when I let out the clutch without giving it any throttle. Is this normal, because when I give it a bit of gas it doesn't do it. It's like it's labouring with the strain of trying to move the wheel without enough fuel.
Any thoughts or advice?

When I'm moving my 08 Ultra around in my garage before or after a ride. I sometimes get a knocking noise from the transmission. It happens when I let out the clutch without giving it any throttle. Is this normal, because when I give it a bit of gas it doesn't do it. It's like it's labouring with the strain of trying to move the wheel without enough fuel.
Any thoughts or advice?

Trying to think about My bike... If I let the clutch out a little it Does Take up SLACK in the drive train.. This is Normal BUT I can't hear your bike..

That noise,,,,, I can make it several times by letting the clutch in and out to tighten the Primary chain and if I put in-out-in-out-in out the clutch ,,,,,I can make that sound several times Not just one...

Is that what you are talking about???? ..........Or it IS the motor Laboring and trying to keep running...

Normal in My Opinion

signed....BUBBIE

it is not the motor, I think it is indeed in the primary area. When I let the clutch about halfway out. without giving it any throttle.

it is not the motor, I think it is indeed in the primary area. When I let the clutch about halfway out. without giving it any throttle.

Just like you are saying,,,,,,Mine makes the Noise like you describe....

Unless your primary automatic chain tensioner in NOT ratcheting up like it should... ????

If you take off the derby cover... Using a flashlight and a long screwdriver... Shine into and left to see where the chain MIDDLE section is and lift chain up and notice How much play it has..... IF MORE than 1/2 to 3/4 inch when cold,,, Ratchet isn't doing its job...

The area I want you to check is where there USED to be an adjustment and viewing door on the primary.. Understand??

signed....BUBBIE

Tried that chain tension help advice, but it didn't work. It still knocks when drive back into my garage and turn around, letting out and riding the clutch without giving any extra throttle.

Tried that chain tension help advice, but it didn't work. It still knocks when drive back into my garage and turn around, letting out and riding the clutch without giving any extra throttle.

Could it be The Clutch not fully engaged, kind of like riding the clutch? I can get my bike to do this if I try but I do not do it intentionally

letting out and riding the clutch without giving any extra throttle.

This may be the cause. With the power pulses of the engine and riding the clutch, either the primary chain, compensator or the clutch basket itself could be tending to chatter.

This may be the cause. With the power pulses of the engine and riding the clutch, either the primary chain, compensator or the clutch basket itself could be tending to chatter.

AH HA, I was right:D

Back