free website stats program Transmission information | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission information

CalgaryBikeBum

Will a 2001 88TC B engine 5 speed transmission fit a 2000 A engine? I know that the A style engine sump and transmission share a pan configuration and the B engine and Oil tank so does not use the same pan. Any help is appreciated. Once I tear it all down this winter I will know one way or the other but I got a good line on a used 5 speed so thought I would try it if its okay. Thanks in advance.:newsmile03:

I do not know the answer to your question, but suspect that Glider will.

If you find it will NOT work, I have the OEM tranny off my '03 UC (not balanced) that I replaced with a 6-spd. The main shaft seal is leaking, and I did not have the time or the tools to fix it. Otherwise, the tranny is in good shape. It is sitting in the shipping box (Harley) in the garage ready to go somewhere.

TQ

I don't know the answer for sure here but I would guess being one is from a balanced case and the other is a rubber mount that there would be other areas that would hinder the use of it.

The softail trans is rigidly mounted to the frame and the rubber mount is mounted to the engine.

Thanks TQ and Glider. I thought maybe I was just stupid? LOL I am thinking they are different but I think I will check it out? How much for that trans TQ . I am in Calgary, Alberta , Canada. I don't mind doing the main seal. In fact? Mine is leaking like a sieve now. HAHAHA Shifting is quite gritty. Not sure what's wrong yet. At least I have a heated garage to tear it down and have a look. Thanks for your help. This site is awesome.

Thanks TQ and Glider. I thought maybe I was just stupid? LOL I am thinking they are different but I think I will check it out? How much for that trans TQ . I am in Calgary, Alberta , Canada. I don't mind doing the main seal. In fact? Mine is leaking like a sieve now. HAHAHA Shifting is quite gritty. Not sure what's wrong yet. At least I have a heated garage to tear it down and have a look. Thanks for your help. This site is awesome.

Here is my original post from the "for sale" area:

Sell - '03 FLHTCUI OEM 5-speed - Harley Davidson Community

Offer me what you think it is worth to you since you know this case will fit your bike. And you arrange for pickup and delivery to your place. I will make sure it is packed up like the 6-spd was when I got it.

The guts have about 65k miles on them, and were working fine. Only problem I am aware of is the leak at the main shaft. Also, the shifter shaft needs to be replaced and the oil hoses to the engine. Check out the info on the post above, and let me know what you want to do.

TQ

Well let me get mine out and find out how bad things are? Then if I need it and you still have it available I will make you a fair offer. Thanks for your help.

Back