free website stats program Transmission grinding noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission grinding noise

rlhawkins

I have a 2000 Road King. The transmission makes grinding noises when the clutch is released. Transmission seems to go in gear fine. Drained transmission fluid and found nasty and fine metal on plug magnet. I pulled primary cover and found no metal in primary. What could be the most likely problem?

Without taking the trapdoor and top cover off it is hard to say. If you take the outer cover (right side) off you will be able to see the two bearings in the trapdoor. It sounds like a rebuild is in your future.

I have a 2000 Road King. The transmission makes grinding noises when the clutch is released. Transmission seems to go in gear fine. Drained transmission fluid and found nasty and fine metal on plug magnet. I pulled primary cover and found no metal in primary. What could be the most likely problem?

Does the bike move when the clutch is released? What happens when you go straight into 2nd gear? If the bike does not move, it could be your primary pully (sprocket) got loose and stripped it's splines. If you can push the bike when it's in gear, and hear some noise, that's a good sign of pully gone.

I have 2002 Road King and had the same issue with the noise also the bike would go into any gear but the grinding sound would happen when you released the clutch but the bike would not move forward in any of the gears my problem was the transmission sprocket part #40210-85D it cost $149.50 its located in the primary cover, the drive belt runs around the outside of the gear and is driven by the transmission shaft in the center of the gear, the inside grooves of the gear where the transmission shaft goes were stripped on my bike and couldnt drive the belt forward, the service advisor at Harley explained that if the compensator nut was not fully torqued could cause this issue over time, If this sounds similiar to your problem be sure to check transmission shaft when apart, mine was ok and most likely yours would be too as the sprocket appeared to be made of a softer metal than the shaft of the transmission. If you have to bring it in to have it repaired it was a $600.00 repair

Uh oh! Not good. The bits in the tranny fluid and on the magnet are a very bad sign. I would NOT run the bike until you open up the tranny and see what is damaged. If something comes apart in there while you are moving, it could be VERY bad.

Good luck.

TQ

I have 2002 Road King and had the same issue with the noise also the bike would go into any gear but the grinding sound would happen when you released the clutch but the bike would not move forward in any of the gears my problem was the transmission sprocket part #40210-85D it cost $149.50 its located in the primary cover, the drive belt runs around the outside of the gear and is driven by the transmission shaft in the center of the gear, the inside grooves of the gear where the transmission shaft goes were stripped on my bike and couldnt drive the belt forward, the service advisor at Harley explained that if the compensator nut was not fully torqued could cause this issue over time, If this sounds similiar to your problem be sure to check transmission shaft when apart, mine was ok and most likely yours would be too as the sprocket appeared to be made of a softer metal than the shaft of the transmission. If you have to bring it in to have it repaired it was a $600.00 repair

Wayne,

It looks like I had a similar problem to what you are describing above, although some of your facts are not quite right. The drive pulley is actually between the tranny and the inner primary. And the "meganut" would be the culprit rather than the compensator nut. Here is some of my story:

Bike broke - tranny! - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back