free website stats program Transmission Fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Fluid

fiveoh455

Greetings....I have 2009 Electra Glide Classic, 6 speed tranny. Prior to the 1K service I changed all fluids/filter, and had the dealer just check everything else.
I used Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Gear Oil, Full Synthetic GL-1 75w140 in the tranny. I marked on the bottle what it was for so I wouldn't forget.
Changing fluids today in preparation for winter, I drained the tranny. The fluid was red. The stuff I put in was today was green.
Am I using the right tranny fluid?
I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 in the motor, and HD Formula + in the primary. Is the Spectro 1 OK for the tranny? Thanks for the help.....

Spectro 6 Speed is a great transmission fluid. Yes, it's red. Don't know what the green stuff you put in was. Maybe someone else knows.

I think I just realized what i did....the GL-1 I used is what I had left over from when I rode a 2001 Road King. I think I used GL-5 in the EGC. Make sense?

According to the Spectro website the GL-1 is dyed green but is for use in HD Big Twin Transmissions also so you should be fine but may want to switch back to the GL-5 on the next service.

Thanks to all....I appreciate the help. Peace of mind is a good thing. I spent a little time this afternoon going through my cabinet, seperating the stuff I used in my RK from the stuff I use in the EGC.

Back