free website stats program Transmission drain plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission drain plug

One other thing, when using an extension or a deep socket "theoretically" it should NOT affect the torque reading, but that is negated by wrench handle/socket being farther away from the fastener and "feel" being more numb with more chance of not holding it on square making it easier to "gorilla it" inadvertently.

Glider is naturally correct, first hand tighten only...if it is cross threading you will know it before you ding the threads, and then all the way till it stops (hopefully you have use thread sealer) so only a very slight additional amount of torque is necessary to "seal the deal"!!!

Something I always do (someone must have taught me) when using dissimilar metals is to turn the item backwards while putting slight pressure on it. You will usually feel a bump/drop when the threads get aligned. Then righty tighty with hand pressure until you are sure your threads are matched. This works especially well on garden hoses.

Something I always do (someone must have taught me) when using dissimilar metals is to turn the item backwards while putting slight pressure on it. You will usually feel a bump/drop when the threads get aligned. Then righty tighty with hand pressure until you are sure your threads are matched. This works especially well on garden hoses.

Somewhere in my life i picked up that one and use it on most fastners on the backwards turn you can feel when its in the right place to turn forwards

Brian

Many thanks to all here on the forum that helped me out with this problem. I have been worrying over it a long time now - but now, it seems to be fixed. I appreciate all your inputs and will certainly use your experiences and advice when changing it out next time.

This place is just great for anyone who has a problem or concern or just a simple question - to post it and stand back and read the inputs of others here. It's actually like having 10-15-30 other folks in the shop with you to ask "hey, joe, what do ya think?" Ha - it's great!!

Bill

"hey, Bill, what do ya think?":bigsmiley20:
I think I am a happy camper once again. I also cut off my trans dipstick and made me another dipstick just for checking the levels - I used a piece of 1/4" allthread with nuts and washers to get the correct placement by running the nuts up or down to the right place and then locking them in with another nut. Then I ground off a 'flat' on the side of the rod making reading the levels even easier. Alls well that ends well.

Thanks Glider and have a blessed day.
Bill

turkey baster? wont get much out ,,if you dont want use the drain plug,,split the case,would be more effective than the baster.

Back