free website stats program Transmission drain plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission drain plug

Billbo

Well, I have posted a lot about my trans drain plug with the fouled up threads in the alum case. I decided to carry it to the dealer - they said they would install the Timesert. Then they said they couldnt. So they "cleaned and chased" the threads and installed a new OEM drain plug. No leaks. Seems to have fixed it and they put in the Mobil 1 gear oil I gave them.

SOOOO - now I am planning on just running that synthetic gear oil in trans for about 15K miles or so and that will take me quite a while --- then, using a turkey baster or simular gadget, I will remove the oil from the TOP of the trans fill plug (used to be my dipstick 'till I cut it off - now its just another plug) - and pour in new clean synthetic oil as needed. I dont see any reason in my near future to ever remove the trans drain plug again.

Am I thinking right or even near right or just letting frustration get the best of me? Main thing is it is not leaking from the drain plug anymore.

Bill

Well, I have posted a lot about my trans drain plug with the fouled up threads in the alum case. I decided to carry it to the dealer - they said they would install the Timesert. Then they said they couldnt. So they "cleaned and chased" the threads and installed a new OEM drain plug. No leaks. Seems to have fixed it and they put in the Mobil 1 gear oil I gave them.

SOOOO - now I am planning on just running that synthetic gear oil in trans for about 15K miles or so and that will take me quite a while --- then, using a turkey baster or simular gadget, I will remove the oil from the TOP of the trans fill plug (used to be my dipstick 'till I cut it off - now its just another plug) - and pour in new clean synthetic oil as needed. I dont see any reason in my near future to ever remove the trans drain plug again.

Am I thinking right or even near right or just letting frustration get the best of me? Main thing is it is not leaking from the drain plug anymore.

Bill

Good for you Bill, what warranty did they give you> May want to have them change the fluid again for you in case something goes side ways it is on there dime JMO

Frustration is getting the best of you! :D

You aren't going to get much out with the turkey baster. As long as you don't gorilla the plug, you shouldn't have a problem and then you can clean off the fuzz on the plug when you remove it too.

Key thing is not to cross thread the plug and DON'T over tighten it. Keep it on the very low side of the specs, it only takes a very low TQ to seal with the "O" ring on the plug.

Good for you Bill, what warranty did they give you> May want to have them change the fluid again for you in case something goes side ways it is on there dime JMO

Frustration is getting the best of you! :D

You aren't going to get much out with the turkey baster. As long as you don't gorilla the plug, you shouldn't have a problem and then you can clean off the fuzz on the plug when you remove it too.

Key thing is not to cross thread the plug and DON'T over tighten it. Keep it on the very low side of the specs, it only takes a very low TQ to seal with the "O" ring on the plug.

You both - as usual - have great advise and it is well taken. Jack, I think I will let the HD dealer change out the trans oil next time - of course by then they will have forgotten all about it - :)

and Glider, I am (certainly NOT bragging) pretty mechanically savy - but putting that drain plug back in was NOT easy - I believe the threads were boggered up already when I got it - recall my earlier posts - I spent like a solid hour or more just trying to get it started and that was using a flashlite in one hand and a mirror in the other hand while holding a socket with extension holding the plug in my other hand (?) allllll at the same time.
I will die believing HD could have done a better job with that tran plug on softtails. Anyway, I will take your advise also - and thank you both again.

thanks to all here on HDT forum for all your good advise and comments on stripped drain plugs and how to fix them or what to do with them.

Lessons to be learned ---
NEVER force a steel plug into alum threads.
Never overtighten drain plugs or anything in aluminum.
Always be patient - know when to just walk away and leave it for another time. (might be called anger management by another name)
Get help when needed.

Thanks to all again
Bill

You both - as usual - have great advise and it is well taken. Jack, I think I will let the HD dealer change out the trans oil next time - of course by then they will have forgotten all about it - :)

and Glider, I am (certainly NOT bragging) pretty mechanically savy - but putting that drain plug back in was NOT easy - I believe the threads were boggered up already when I got it - recall my earlier posts - I spent like a solid hour or more just trying to get it started and that was using a flashlite in one hand and a mirror in the other hand while holding a socket with extension holding the plug in my other hand (?) allllll at the same time.
I will die believing HD could have done a better job with that tran plug on softtails. Anyway, I will take your advise also - and thank you both again.

thanks to all here on HDT forum for all your good advise and comments on stripped drain plugs and how to fix them or what to do with them.

Lessons to be learned ---
NEVER force a steel plug into alum threads.
Never overtighten drain plugs or anything in aluminum.
Always be patient - know when to just walk away and leave it for another time. (might be called anger management by another name)
Get help when needed.

Thanks to all again
Bill

Keep your paper work with you in case they forget, good luck:s

If you have to keep the plug in and you are looking for a way to change fluid a inexpensive hand pump ($12) used to transfer fluids is available at most auto stores or Sears would do the trick - Bob

One thing to remember with ALL drain plugs....start them with your fingers only and thread them in as far as you can by hand to eliminate any problems and lastly NEVER over tighten them.:D

One thing to remember with ALL drain plugs....start them with your fingers only and thread them in as far as you can by hand to eliminate any problems and lastly NEVER over tighten them.:D

Good advice, if only I could get my fat fingers between the shocks on a Softail I COULD start it by hand!!!!

Good advice, if only I could get my fat fingers between the shocks on a Softail I COULD start it by hand!!!!
Exactly!!! I can barely reach and touch the drain plug with my middle finger tip - much less hold the plug and turn it! So that's why I put the plug in a socket with 4" extension and try threading it in (by hand) that way. HD should have piped it back to the frame somewhere more accessable like they did the oil drain plug.

Bill

The correct size socket on an extension, in your hand, not on the rachet will work fine. Use it like an extension of your fingers, you'll learn the "Feel".

Back