free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

I have a 09 Ultra, is this still a problem on my model year? I seen no wear as of yet. If this problem is still there I will cut it off, but don't want to if it has been resolved. Have not seen anyone with 09 and up models post a problem so I am just wondering if it is a problem on my scooter. I want to be safe.
Thanks. :34:

I have a 09 Ultra, is this still a problem on my model year? I seen no wear as of yet. If this problem is still there I will cut it off, but don't want to if it has been resolved. Have not seen anyone with 09 and up models post a problem so I am just wondering if it is a problem on my scooter. I want to be safe.
Thanks. :34:

Think its more on the 5 speeds the way the case is made the clutch cable rubs against the dip stick, the newer 6 speed cases are different take a look at where the cable enters the tranny

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a little tired of trying to figure it out... Yes, No, Yes, No,
I'm just going to buy a new one. Quoted by hd dealer about 14$ So I'll cut off the one i have original and use the new one for checking. keep it in a rag in saddle bag

Walleye,
I think the only way Ours would break-off in our newer bikes is IF you tighten down past( way too tight) the snug that is needed on the "0" ring on dip stick.. Then the vibration might snap at the stick part..

You know what i mean,The "0" keeps the long stick from going into harmonics that breaks it off. ,,,(my thinking only)

Where is HOOPLE when you need him???? He knows!

anybody seen him?...
signed....BUBBIE

I just went and checked. On my 09 Ultra it is a completely different set up than my next door neighbors 07 Ultra. It is obvious on his set up how the problem can exist. On my scooter, the cable comes in from the bottom right of the case, on his the cable and the dipstick are side by side on the top of the case. I informed him of the problem and he is going to check his. Thanks all.:)

As stated by a bunch of riders. The 09 and up is different because the dip in the housing and not in end plate next the clutch cable. I went and checked mine and we have no problems. Ride don't worry!

I got a little tired of trying to figure it out... Yes, No, Yes, No,
I'm just going to buy a new one. Quoted by hd dealer about 14$ So I'll cut off the one i have original and use the new one for checking. keep it in a rag in saddle bag

Walleye,
I think the only way Ours would break-off in our newer bikes is IF you tighten down past( way too tight) the snug that is needed on the "0" ring on dip stick.. Then the vibration might snap at the stick part..

You know what i mean,The "0" keeps the long stick from going into harmonics that breaks it off. ,,,(my thinking only)

Where is HOOPLE when you need him???? He knows!

anybody seen him?...
signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I thought you had Hoople in your tool box:p

I got the piece of the dipstick out today. Did it myself. It was a big feat for me as I am not a mechanically inclined sort of person. More mad at myself for not heeding the info here on this forum than anything else. I try and not put myself in these situations. Thanks, Glider, for your post about removing the side plate and thanks to everyone else for letting me blow off some steam. The broken piece was laying right beside the drain plug. My dipstick did not rub through nor was it behind any clutch cable. It just fell apart, NO JOKE! The cast must have had a weak spot that just vibrated itself apart. This forum is a fantastic place. Thanks again. Time for a Sam Adams or 3!:cheers

Back