free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

I have heard this connected with touring bikes but it may be the others as well. It's mainly on the transmissions with the end cover that has the dipstick mounted through the cover and not in the case like on the 96 engines.

This is the problematic area. The early 96 engines had a different problem of the dipstick breaking off the cap itself.

Lightclutch.jpg

Last edited:
to all who have posted to this thread about this issue THANKS. I stepped up from an 01 Road King (awesome bike) to an 08 Electra classic with 5k on it. I have not heard of or paid particularly close attention to this and am ready to leave "the place were i go to get paid" to check it out. AGAIN THANKS GENTS FOR THE INFO

to all who have posted to this thread about this issue THANKS. I stepped up from an 01 Road King (awesome bike) to an 08 Electra classic with 5k on it. I have not heard of or paid particularly close attention to this and am ready to leave "the place were i go to get paid" to check it out. AGAIN THANKS GENTS FOR THE INFO

Yep, this forum can definitely be a money and time saver and one could even say a life saver in some instances!

I have heard this connected with touring bikes but it may be the others as well. It's mainly on the transmissions with the end cover that has the dipstick mounted through the cover and not in the case like on the 96 engines.

This is the problematic area. The early 96 engines had a different problem of the dipstick breaking off the cap itself.

Lightclutch.jpg

When you say breaking off in the cap on the 96's is this something to be concerned on the 103's in the Limited. I believe they are the same?

And what should be done about it?

Pretty much the same setup with the dipstick. It's not an epidemic but it only takes one dipstick to trash the trans.
Pick up another dipstick and cut off the dipstick end of the unit and use it as a plug in place of the dipstick you save for checking the oil level.

Pretty much the same setup with the dipstick. It's not an epidemic but it only takes one dipstick to trash the trans.
Pick up another dipstick and cut off the dipstick end of the unit and use it as a plug in place of the dipstick you save for checking the oil level.

Hey guys,
Just got back from my neighbor who just cut the end off my dipstick. 42,000+ miles on my '08 SG and sure enough, about 1 1/2 inch down the chrome is history and starting to eat at the metal! Looks like it was wearing about 3/4 inch down also. Hope Harley has plenty of replaceable dipsticks after this get circulated again. Again, BIG hats off to the forum and it's members.

wow! - I remember reading about this when I first got my UC and started reading on this forum..I check'ed my stick but didn't see any signs of wear on it, so pretty much forgot about it at that point.

I don't know which is more amazing, the fact that this happens or the response you got from the service guy. Not too encouraging that you have to fight these kinda battles when something like THIS happens. That would be a no questions asked, get it in here as soon as you can. But then again, I''d probably be out of business within a year or so as well lol -

Thanks for posting and I'm off to get me a filler plug ASAP -

Great post guys. I will check mine when I get home and either buy an extra stick or make one up.

Great forum!!

I think you just need to be careful putting the dipstick back in the hole and not get the dipstick on the wrong side of the clutch cable. It don't touch the cable if you put it on the outside of the cable. But it's easy to get the stick on the inside of the cable.

Back