free website stats program Transmission dip stick | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission dip stick

FLST

2005 FLSTCI

The trans sits level but the stick goes in at about a 45 degree angle. With the markings facing up the level reads low and with markings facing down it reads full. Any info on which way to face the markings? I added the recommended 24 ounces of oil, but every time I check it I seem to get a different reading. It's difficult to get the stick in and out cleanly straight without getting burned on exhaust. lol.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "With the markings facing up the level reads low and with markings facing down it reads full. Any info on which way to face the markings?"

Do you mean when the dipstick is in the trans depending on how the dipstick is turned the full marking is either on the high or low side of the dipstick because the dipstick is not in a level position when you are checking it?

While not sure how the manual states to check the trans fluid on your year/model, my service manual states to check the fluid while on the jiffy stand. Looking at the bike when it is on the jiffy stand puts the dipstick in a more straight up and down position than when the bike is held level (hope this makes sense), thus the position of the markings being up or down are negligible.

I changed my original dipstick to the style pictured here that has a large hex head, eliminating the need for an allen wrench, making it much easier to get in and out without getting burned on the exhaust. Then I changed the exhaust to true duals making it even easier :D

Double check how you should be checking the trans fluid level according to the manual, could make a huge difference.

Attachments

• Trans Plug 1.jpg
    Trans Plug 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Trans Plug 2.jpg
    Trans Plug 2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Trans Plug 3.jpg
    Trans Plug 3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 42
My manual says check with the bike sitting level. I sit on the bike, holding it level, and look down at the fill hole. Holding the dip stick in my right hand and looking at it, I turn the markings up so I can see them. The other check was with the markings turned down; Sort of facing the ground, (I can see the "back" of the dipstick) but at the requisite angle to insert dipstick. That's the best way I can think of to explain it.

It sounds to me like you are checking it correctly and if it is full on one side and low on the other that would put it in the middle of the marks if you were to take an average.

As long as you are checking it warmed up to operating temps, with the dipstick resting on the threads and not screwed in, and the right amount of fluid called for in the manual was used you should be good to go.

Back