free website stats program Transmission cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission cover

Biffy08

Hello all. I am new to this and am looking for a good experience and maybe a future of posting other threads, as I am new to any forum type arrangement. I was also looking for mechanical advice.

I cannot get the transmission cover back onto my 1997 Road King. I changed the clutch cable but cannot get the cover to want o go back on. I removed and inspected both of the ramps and balls and I think this is where my problem lies. There is a "propeller":dknow (as you can tell I am not a mechanic - just trying to be) that I believe rests inside the ramp? Is there a trick to getting this to align? Any light anyone can shed would be much appreciated!

Thanks and nice site!!!

First thing to check is that the 3 balls are in the ramps properly and not out of place. Position the "C" clip in the proper position that holds the ramps in.

Lightclutch.jpg

I cannot get the transmission cover back onto my 1997 Road King. I changed the clutch cable but cannot get the cover to want o go back on. I removed and inspected both of the ramps and balls and I think this is where my problem lies. There is a "propeller":dknow (as you can tell I am not a mechanic - just trying to be) that I believe rests inside the ramp? Is there a trick to getting this to align? Any light anyone can shed would be much appreciated!

If I understand what you have said above, you are trying to put the "propeller" thingie inside the ramp? If so, this is not right. That goes in the hole in the left (rear) shaft (main shaft) as you look at the tranny from the right. But, since you have replaced the cable, you should have the primary open (clutch cover or derby cover off) and the clutch adjuster (left push rod end) completely backed out, or the spring clip (retaining ring) removed and the adjuster (release plate) completely out of the clutch.

The outer ball ramp goes inside the cover, then the ball bearing (3), then the inner ramp that connects to the cable. The spring clip (retaining ring) then holds this in the cover. With the "propeller" thingie (actually called the push rod end) in the main shaft, and the other side (primary - clutch side) completely backed out or dissassembled, you should not have any problem buttoning up the tranny side cover.

Follow these to adjust the clutch:

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks a lot TQuentin1. I appreciate the advice. I will give it another try today. I think the "propeller" thing is an oil slinger.
Thanks again!

Thanks glider! The picture helped too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the "propeller" thing is an oil slinger

Intrestingly, my OEM 5-spd ('03 UC) right pushrod end had that sort of "propeller" on it, where the pushrod end that came with the new tranny side cover kit for my SE 6-spd did not. In any event, that right pushrod end (with or without "propeller") goes in the main shaft.

TQ

Back