free website stats program transmission casing plug threads messed up | Harley Davidson Forums

transmission casing plug threads messed up

wfmacii

I purchased a 2011 Heritage in September of 2013. I changed the fluids in January just under 5, 000 miles the only thing I noticed was there was a strange drag when removing the tranny plug. Used anti-seize on the plugs for all the holes, replaced the o-rings and used anti-seize when installing them. Torqued every thing to spec with a CDI torque wrench.

Yesterday I decided to do my 5, 000 mile fluid change. I scavenged the engine oil for the first time and was amazed it took 52 ounces before she ran clean. When I went to remove the plug for the tranny it just felt strange coming out. When I finally got it out it had good size pieces of the aluminum casing on it, almost like the threads just disintegrated. I flushed out the drain hole and could not get the plug to thread by hand. So, I carefully used a tap to clean what was left of the threads and was able to get the plug back in. The only problem is I'm afraid to torque it, but it is holding with no leaks after a few hundred miles. My questions is this. When this last happened I had a friend drill out the hole and insert a helical which worked like a charm.

I was wondering what the gurus here think the best repair would be. Especially with the location of the plug between the shocks on the softails.

Back