free website stats program Transmission Bearing failure | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Bearing failure

i had redline shockproof put in my 2010 ultra at the 1k service. too bad for me they did not fill the case. why? i don't know. the gm at another dealership said this is what saved my box from total distruction. its still screwed up. the factory rep., monty banks, told me my trans problems were the result of non-approved fluid use. i switched to syn3 for 2k miles. my trans is horrible now. only thing holding it together is redline. don't leave home without it. i never use an h-d fluid. (period) only what is recommended here on this website.

The Harley dealers up in my neck of the woods have been recommending against using Syn 3 in all three holes for years. That was a bad idea from the get-go and I am surprised some dealers would still suggest that.

I have always used Harley Davidson Formula+ in my primary and trans at the suggestion of my local parts guys. I have never had a trans or primary problem to date but then again, I change my trans fluid every second oil change which may be over-kill.

Im sure there are better trans fluids available as already stated but my trans shifts nice and is quiet (even in the infamous 5th gear) with the Formula+.

I finally found some Mobil 1 v-twin oil up here ($13.50/liter) at wally world so gonna give that a try in the engine next oil change.

"Looks like this dealer did not hear about the down side of Syn 3 in the tranny, Seems to me American Iron did a story on this and the dealers were advised not to run it in the tranny any more because of high failure rates HMMMM:
Capital Jack who would be telling them? I was in the local HD store the other day and a beutiful new touring bike fresh from the shipping crate and dealer prep going out to the showroom floor and another with a sold ticket on it, (I do not remember which model) but what I do remember was the awesome color, and all the stickers all over the tranny the primary and near the engine oil spout Stating SYN 3 was used in all three compartments. this is in Mi. Tim

MyfirstHarley

There are still many dealers that do this type of service using the SYN 3 oil. It's basically for ease of stocking one product for services and the mark up on the oil itself compared to others.

Whether they realize that the SYN 3 isn't a very good choice for the trans or primary remains a question that puzzles me. They are a dealer and service dept. that should know a bit about these bikes and what works best in them.

Have some fun with them and ask about the SYN 3 used in all three compartments and after they tell you they do it, then ask why did the MOCO come out with Formula+. :s

Thanks Glider I will, I will admit when I got my road king last year I fell into the using one oil for all three compartments (not knowing anything and being very impressionable about owning a Harley) my oil was Ams Oil after finding this GREAT forum and finding a GREAT indy I now have 3 oils for 3 compartments as it should be. Tim

Glider I did my oil's of choice were ams-oil for the engine, formula+ for the primary and spectro GL1 5 spd for the gear box. these were based in a large part of your recomendation's the recomendation of spectro of which oil for which transmission and my indy as well on the primary and exerting a little independance of my own on the motor and my experiences with ams-oil. Thanks. Tim

Thanks for all the advice ! I got my Bike back yesterday, transmission completely rebuild plus new main shaft. I trailered it home drained the transmission and Primary, then refilled with Valvoline 80/90 Synthetic Gear Oil in the transmission and formula+ in the Primary. Went for a 5 mile run sounds wonderful. Thanks again.

The large bearing on clutch side of the trans case went out at 32,000. Used HD syn and changed it every 5000 miles. 07 classic with a 6 speed.

Back