free website stats program Transmission Bearing failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Bearing failure

Sorry for the confusion on the HD SIM, I got lazy in my typing. HD SYN 3 Oil. The Dealer said all the bearings were shot in the Transmission and had to be replaced. I took my FLHTCI in for the bearing noise (22 Aril 2011) the dealer now has 3 other Touring bikes with the same problem. I will be changing transmission and primary oils real soon. I enjoy this bike, I put those miles on from Nov 2010 thru April 2011. This summer will see a lot more. Thanks for all the information and advice.

Some of OUR members get a little HOT around the collars when I type this...

If using syn3 in all three holes,,,, YOU are Bound to have Problems in at least TWO of them...

Many problems in the Primary Clutch Parts could be avoided IF you used a good Primary Lube - (Wet clutch approved) other than Syn 3.....

MOST Problems involving TRANNY's ,,,, FOLLOWED with statements like:The HD was filled with SYN 3... In all 3 holes..

I Have YET to have heard of Tranny problems when using Redline Shockproof Heavy or Spectro 6 speed GEAR OIL from the start....

Now the Main Word here is "GEAR OIL"..... Then it is Preference of Which GEAR OIL You want to use....

I base this opinion of mine on the problems that HAVE cropped up and been AIRED on HDT.com..

Use what you want BUT IF NOT Gear Oil, and a good Grade of it, You'll be back here some day, MAYBE Not Right Off but SOON with a post that says I have a Bearing Problem in My Tranny.... I used Syn3 like the HD Dealer suggested...

signed....BUBBIE

I bet that magnetic drain plug was a real sight.

Hoople,

Thank you.

I should of mentioned that With Redline Shockproof Heavy Gear Lube;

I have Never had Any metal on the magnetic drain plug NEVER EVER in ANY and ALL my bikes...

IF you are NOW using Syn3 in your tyranny,,,, When Drained LOOK or ASK to LOOK at the magnetic plug before it is Cleaned Off.... I will BET there is Metal Fuzz on it, that Would Not be there IF you used a good quality GEAR OIL,,, And MY Preference is Redline Shockproof Heavy...

I don't say No Metal on Using gear oil Just SAYING when I uses the REDLINE...

I will NOT try other Brands Again in my tyranny,,,,,,

I have had in the Past ,,,,, Used Other BRANDS that showed Metal On the Magnetic Plug In abundance..... YES I did have Syn 3 in a bike once and Once was enough.... Never again !!!

I have had the Best Results with My product of Choice.... Redline Shockproof Heavy

signed....BUBBIE

I bet that magnetic drain plug was a real sight.

Hoople I'm sure the drain plug mag was full and once that happens all the remaining bits and pieces just fly around doing more damage. Many people will automaticly go with the HD product because that is what is reccomended by the dealer and the dealer is told by the MOCO that is what they should use. If everyone did their homework they would soon see that there are different products that work very well with their Harley and some even better. JMHO Don

Hoople,

Thank you.

I should of mentioned that With Redline Shockproof Heavy Gear Lube;

I have Never had Any metal on the magnetic drain plug NEVER EVER in ANY and ALL my bikes...

IF you are NOW using Syn3 in your tyranny,,,, When Drained LOOK or ASK to LOOK at the magnetic plug before it is Cleaned Off.... I will BET there is Metal Fuzz on it, that Would Not be there IF you used a good quality GEAR OIL,,, And MY Preference is Redline Shockproof Heavy...

I don't say No Metal on Using gear oil Just SAYING when I uses the REDLINE...

I will NOT try other Brands Again in my tyranny,,,,,,

I have had in the Past ,,,,, Used Other BRANDS that showed Metal On the Magnetic Plug In abundance..... YES I did have Syn 3 in a bike once and Once was enough.... Never again !!!

I have had the Best Results with My product of Choice.... Redline Shockproof Heavy

signed....BUBBIE
Could you clarify which brand of transmission gear oil you prefer? Is it Redline Shock Proof. Your comments were unclear!:newsmile108:

[QUOTE=doctordoug

Is it Redline Shock Proof. Your comments were unclear!
Sunny and Clear here today,,,,,,, REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY...

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry for the confusion on the HD SIM, I got lazy in my typing. HD SYN 3 Oil. The Dealer said all the bearings were shot in the Transmission and had to be replaced. I took my FLHTCI in for the bearing noise (22 Aril 2011) the dealer now has 3 other Touring bikes with the same problem. I will be changing transmission and primary oils real soon. I enjoy this bike, I put those miles on from Nov 2010 thru April 2011. This summer will see a lot more. Thanks for all the information and advice.

Looks like this dealer did not hear about the down side of Syn 3 in the tranny, Seems to me American Iron did a story on this and the dealers were advised not to run it in the tranny any more because of high failure rates HMMMM

Back