free website stats program Transmission Bearing failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Bearing failure

parkerro

I have a 2010 FLHTCI,Ultra Classic with 21000 miles, the transmission bearings are shoot. Has anyone else seen this problem yet.

Should be under warranty.
What kind of fluid were you running, how often did you change?

I use HD Sim. provided by the Dealer, ( Bike has been serviced by the Dealer for all services) it is under warranty. Warrenty is not the question, the bearings are. Is this failure happening a lot or not so often ?

parkerro;367296[B said:
]I use HD Sim. provided by the Dealer,[/B] ( Bike has been serviced by the Dealer for all services) it is under warranty. Warrenty is not the question, the bearings are. Is this failure happening a lot or not so often ?

What is HD Sim.......?????

Why do I NOT know of the harley products ???? Answer;

I don't use them. Not saying ALL are NOT up to My high HD standards BUT YES,,, Years of using a Better product makes it Hard to want to switch out Just To Try another UNPROVEN Brand Including HD's Brands....

HD and Their Syn 3, For ALL three holes is a JOKE..

NOW if you are meaning Syn3 I get the picture and wouldn't blame the bearings but the Lube (IMPROPER USE OF )..

Then again, there are MANY bikes as mine without a problem BUT what do I know????

Years of ONLY using the GOOD STUFF... REDLINE

signed....BUBBIE

I have a 2010 FLHTCI,Ultra Classic with 21000 miles, the transmission bearings are shoot. Has anyone else seen this problem yet.

Brother, you're opening a can of worms here.:D This has been a hot topic here for years since the 6 speed. Noticed my '08 SG main shaft bearing start to go around 26,000 and finally got if replaced under warranty at 31,000 and than started to go again at 43,000 and had replaced with a Baker DD7 and run Spectro Platinum now. 52,000+ miles and diggin' it.:s The best to you with your situation bro.

with 21000 miles the transmission bearings are shot.

The bearing(s) are shot as in plural? Would help to know which bearing or bearings your talking about. Against popular belief, I still believe excessive belt tension can cause a main output drive shaft bearing to go out early.

Brother, you're opening a can of worms here.:D This has been a hot topic here for years since the 6 speed. Noticed my '08 SG main shaft bearing start to go around 26,000 and finally got if replaced under warranty at 31,000 and than started to go again at 43,000 and had replaced with a Baker DD7 and run Spectro Platinum now. 52,000+ miles and diggin' it.:s The best to you with your situation bro.

Didn't notice the other person was NEW...

Welcome and Please;
Look and find in the search area (right top of page) of this forum and Read.... Lots of answers and Problems Like stated above by craig Lee...

I still would like to know about the Lube/oil/?

I have heard Horror stories and some Good stories.. I don't think it to be ONLY a lube issue..

On Craigs problem, I always thought it to be a Bad Tyranny case to start with... IF it is the ones that were Improperly Lin-bored ???

the bearings would go out regardless of Lube..

Don't know the answer here..

I Have NOT heard of a LOT of problems but When It Happens to You....

I've been Lucky on getting a good quality built bike OF the Many I have bought New...

The 2000 FXDS was one that came with the BAD Cam Drive Ball Bearing and I never waited for it to Blow so HD would fix THEIR PROBLEM they Made MINE.... So I lost Faith on the HD Representation but Not the HD bikes...

There are probably FEW that have the Major tyranny problem and LUCKY for you it showed up Under Warranty...

My warranty is up in August of this year on my 09 FLHR... I have 20,000 miles on it now, (bought late when 2010's came out in Aug of 09)..

Problems on mine?

Maybe front brake rotors?? Will check when up on my jack lift.

One piece of Chrome Trim on front fender got Wrinkled... Over heated bulb ???
I replaced the front amber light cover on my own. I'll do the warranty thing on the chrome tip,,, IF they will replace..?

Using Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tyranny(many bikes) since New and The dealer out of state where I bought the bike SAID after asking him what lube He personally used.... He pointed to a full shelf next to his display of HD oils. His Full complement of Redline Products. He was Only TOO Happy to recommend them to HIS buyers of their New bikes.

This Dealer, KNOWING that new 6 spd. Tyranny had a Noise Problem he Suggested to use Shockproof in them..... Racing Motorcycles for years,, only wanted the Best to be OFFERED to his customers ALSO,,, it is what He Used.. Redline right next to the HD lubes....
NO Push Just CHOICE..

Cascade Harley Of Bend Oregon... Nice Dealer

signed....BUBBIE

The bearing(s) are shot as in plural? Would help to know which bearing or bearings your talking about. Against popular belief, I still believe excessive belt tension can cause a main output drive shaft bearing to go out early.

This would not be the first time I have seen this good post Hoople:s

Sorry for the confusion on the HD SIM, I got lazy in my typing. HD SYN 3 Oil. The Dealer said all the bearings were shot in the Transmission and had to be replaced. I took my FLHTCI in for the bearing noise (22 Aril 2011) the dealer now has 3 other Touring bikes with the same problem. I will be changing transmission and primary oils real soon. I enjoy this bike, I put those miles on from Nov 2010 thru April 2011. This summer will see a lot more. Thanks for all the information and advice.

I believe that the Syn 3 had a major contributing cause here. It's too thin for use in a trans. Most (if not all dealers) have or should have stopped using it because of this. Many trans claims have been brought back to the dealers using Syn 3 in the trans.

Back