free website stats program Trans problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans problems

writer

Having problems changing gears. Bike had set for awhile.So after getting out of hospital thought I'd take her out for a ride. Started shifting hard and stopped to check Trans fluid, low filled up to spec. Didn't think much next time it would not even change checked clutch and adjusted and adjusted primary chain since it to had to much slack. Still main point is it will not chage from first to second.:(

Check the shift lever rod in the bracket where it bolts to the frame. They have a way of getting some rust in there. Remove the lever and clean and grease the shaft and resemble then. You may want to mark the position of the shift arm on the shaft with a marking pen before disassembling it.

writer

Problem still can not change gears.Engine off clutch engages fine gears shift fine. Neutral easy to find. Engine on will go into first some coaxing will not change into 2nd. Bike had set for awhile fluids have been changed clutch was adjusted was dragging a bit. Thanks to all those that have offered an idea. I have worked trough each to make sure I have not missed anything. So once again I ask of you any more Ideas.

Engine off clutch engages fine gears shift fine. Neutral easy to find. Engine on will go into first some coaxing will not change into 2nd.

If it's fine with engine OFF and problem starts with engine running, it has to be parasitic drag of the clutch. Either fluid drag or mechanical drag. I can't see it being anything else.

Re: writer

Problem still can not change gears.Engine off clutch engages fine gears shift fine. Neutral easy to find. Engine on will go into first some coaxing will not change into 2nd. Bike had set for awhile fluids have been changed clutch was adjusted was dragging a bit. Thanks to all those that have offered an idea. I have worked trough each to make sure I have not missed anything. So once again I ask of you any more Ideas.

To heavy an oil or too high a level in the primary will cause problems like you are having. Also improper clutch adjustment will do it too.

After sitting for a while the clutch pack may not release. Put it in gear and rock the bike forward and back adjust clutch and change the primary fluid Test Ride:s

Back