free website stats program Trans/primary oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans/primary oil?

I have a 1974 xlch that has been about two years in the making, after sitting in my garage for over 15. The motor is heavily modified and I now have barnett kevlar clutch plates. My question is, what do you guys with HIGH HORSEPOWER xl's use in your trans/primary. I had always had an issue with either the clutch dragging or it would slip and there was no way to adjust it for a happy medium. Now, even with the new clutch, it is dragging a bit. I have not had a chance to see if it slips yet, I have about 50 miles on new pistons and am not going to crank on it yet. Will be changing the motor oil this week, and will change the primary just as a good habit. I have redline in there now, but am not sure if that was a good choice. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

I don't have an ironhead but Spectro heavy duty primary/trans fluid formulated for sportsters has worked great for me and many others. I still have stock clutch in mine, but I would say give it a try. What does the clutch manufacturer recommend?

Barnett recomends atf, and I have used that before and still had problems with slipping. It is either dragging or slipping with no real happy medium.
I am going to get some spectro and try that, what could it hurt, right? I know that using sae30 doesn't work, atf did not work either.
Am thinking that maybe i should just call out all the stops and get an entire new clutch setup from scorpion or something. My xlch has a 74" stroke kit, 60 over, not sure what cam as it was in there when i got it and no one can tell me from the numbers that are on it. It is high comp. Real high, as you can stand on the kick pedal and she goes no where. The heads have been worked as well. Not sure how much power is coming out of it yet, but it is up there. A blast to ride, and a work in progress.
Thanks for the tip!!

It is a blast to ride. Was on it for about two hours today, just got out of the hot tub. Was frozen to the bone. Last Tuesday I had it out for a bit, and on Wednesday, every muscle in my upper body was sore from hanging on. I still have yet to run it over 3000 r's or take off with it. I need to pick up some oil and do the first change on it. Will be doing some serious breaking in on it over the next few weeks.

Back